Steven Universe: Intriguing beyond belief

Stephen Universe is a great show, but I’m not nearly so fond of Clarence, and I find Uncle Grandpa unwatchable. But I have kids, so it’s occasionally on.

I can’t believe they went to all that trouble for an April fool’s joke. If you like absurd humor you might enjoy Uncle Grandpa.

Is this on Netflix or something like that?

I’d love to see it from the beginning and watch whatever happened before the giant hand robot when I came into the series

Adventure Time is still my favourite CN show, but Steven Universe does have its charms. I’m especially fond of the character designs. They remind me of the manga that begat anime around 1970 or so, like Ambassador Magma, Astro Boy, and Tetsujin-28.

I love the art and character design of this show…and, like Adventure Time, I started paying more attention to it when I realized there was a deeper story line.

Belly bag! I’ve caught a few snippets here and there…I think this show would have really appealed to me when I was a kid, but it doesn’t hold my interest.

I thought the most interesting part of Story For Steven wasn’t seeing young Greg and Rose, but how young in looks and demeanor the other gems were!

Amethyst seemed to be about the level of a five year old! Even being carried, Pearl and Garnet both looked different and younger somehow too. Garnet seemed less stoic and silent even cracking a joke.

Either living without Rose, or the years in between some harsh trauma happened to them. Or raising Steven.

I would say that the loss of Rose has forced the gems to be more responsible and independent, and exposure to Greg and raising a partially human child has made them interact with humans much more. Also, story within a story, so Greg may have misremembered or exaggerated.

Any thoughts on Shirt Club? Nice little story, good character building, explains the events of Joy Ride a little. Also, the rooftop sniper bit was great- “I’ve been shirt!”

I just found out that the first season is now streaming on Hulu.

They also have the first five seasons of Adventure Time.

Yessss

This is awesome news cuz I have a Hulu account I can borrow!

Also very much enjoy the show turned onto it by one of my adult sons.

What part is the proof of concept? Is it a bigger deal that Steven is a child or that he is, well, he, while they are officially genderless but clearly all female in form and pronoun?

Interesting that his power is protection … which is what Rose was doing for the Earth.

Given that the gems are stated to be immortal and sexless, and apparently reproduce using machines that destroy the planet, finding a way to create new gems without killing anything is probably what she was going for. (If this theory is correct)

Well we know Steven wasn’t an accident, it isn’t like Greg and Rose got a little carried away one night and forgot the condom. He was the result of great effort most likely, including the sacrifice of Rose’s life and leaving the other Gems sort of unprotected not to mention Earth(see the early episode where they are like if Rose was here this would be easy).

So yea I’m definitely thinking he was intended as part of some project toward reproducing without killing planets full of life.

So, Steven Universe has returned- with a new opening sequence and a full week of new episodes. Monday’s Sworn to the Sword was one of the best yet, and Rising seas/Crashing skies was… good, I guess. We have a little more backstory on Pearl- confirming what has been theorized, that her gem type is not meant for combat, and thus further suggesting that Gem society is Caste based. Also, sword fights, self abnegation, and Connie moving be be a main cast member.
I’m looking forward to tonight- dark secrets uncovered at the kindergarten. Periodot, maybe?

Well you were right, I’m still trying to figure out what we learned last night exactly.

Does this mean all the “corrupted” monsters are these forced fusions? Did Garnet recognize the silhouettes when the abomination was trying to form? She did say they were crystal gem shards, not just gems. And that this was a punishment.

Another good one, Rose and Greg flashback ep.

WHOA this show is amazing with continuity, to back to Marble Madness and watch what Peridot is trying to do remotely before they smash the connection. Now go back to Jailbreak, she tells Jasper the whole point of coming to Earth was to check on the clusters, and Jasper says no capturing Rose takes precedence.

Another small one in Monster Buddies, when Centipede gets released you can see it first assume a female humanoid silhouette with spiky hair.

My interpretation is that during the rebellion, the homeworld gems were experimenting with fusion- probably as a weapon- and mashed bits of captured/shattered crystal gems together and left them to incubate. (This is about as blatant a rape metaphor as you can get in a children’s cartoon-hence Garnets horror.) Periodot’s job was to check on the results. I had hopes that she would be redeemed by life on Earth, and become an ally- after this, I don’t think that’s possible.
What I’ve come to realize is that this show is really about relationships of all types- parent-child, friendship, romance, community, commander-subordinate. It is looking more and more like the gems have a society based on a strict caste based hierarchy, and the crystal gems rebelled over fusion- and the freedom to form personal relationships generally, in addition to the whole sucking planets dry thing.
While last nights episode was great- and a wonderfully realistic and emotionally true examination of love and the way we become couples- it ended on a more ambiguous note.
A Connie and Greg bond over their shared humanity, Steven holds his gem and suddenly realizes that he isn’t human- and not truly a gem either. This is going to cause problems in the future.

I’m a fan of the absurdist humor of Uncle Grandpa but it’s a show that deliberately flouts internal logic and narrative continuity which would clash with any “normal” show that relies on them.

I think the overall feel of the show is invoking the experience of growing up with a deceased parent(duh right?) or in a broader looser sense the second generation immigrant experience. Steven gets told of all this stuff he has never personally experienced, an entire different way of life.

Oh the Ronaldo episode in this block I think like previous ones revealed very important info and hints at coming plots. Watch Keep Beach City Weird again, Ronaldo rants about polymorphic sentient rocks killing the earth, and “the diamond authority”.

This is all confirmed by later episodes.

Well in this latest one it mostly focuses on the Gems bringing threats to Earth by their being here(future plot arc) AND a very significant background sight gag. A pic of Steven’s stomach with pregnant? written on it.

I think Rose is still “there” inside Steven’s gem, and she will come out and have to tearfully choose to go back so Steven can live.

So new ep today.

A bit sad.

And I must sayI am glad they gave Amethyst empathy.

Yeah, that was a depressing one. First, they build you up with the fun and goofy new fusion, then they turn the whole thing into sadness. Pearl doesn’t just have issues, she has whole subscriptions. She really needs a new girlfriend (boyfriend? Sexless -but-female-presenting-space rock-friend? Gems are so confusing).
Also, check out youtube for the Steven Universe panel at comicon- including an extended opening with new verses.
Looking forward to the rest of this weeks episodes.