Stop Throwing Change at Me

No one wants to learn how to count change, all the grocery stores around here automatically spit my coin change out of a machine so the cashiers only have to count bills. Its like they don’t give them credit for the intelligence Og gave a shrub. That kind of stuff would embarrass me if I worked somewhere they did that.

Yah, stop throwing change at me.

$100 bills that’s what I want!

Reggie Jackson would be a good choice. He used to pick up the change fans threw at him in the outfield.

I’ll take bars of gold. First bar covers all the medical costs from the rest of them.

:smiley: I think I’m in love.

Sticky Nickels. Gotta get their new CD. :slight_smile:

Trouble is, the time they save in handing me the money like that is then spent by me having to seperate the change from the bills and put it all in their respective proper places on my person.

Ta-daaaa!

Throwing change at you? But I just perfected my technique of nailing somebody in the eye!

(It irks me when people drop change on the counter instead of putting it into my hand, as a cashier, but whatever, I can deal. Flicking change back? No-no.)

I love those things. I can reach in with my free hand and drop the coins into my pocket.

They don’t give them the credit, because on average, the cashier doesn’t deserve it. :slight_smile:

Those change things? They’re not infallible, despite what the manufacturer would undoubtedly have you believe. They make mistakes. The last time that happened to me, the drone behind the register first wouldn’t believe me, then took a loooong time (with a people pile-up happening behind me) to count up the change, glance puzzedly at the screen showing how much I should have recieved, count it again, look at the screen again, look at her register, stare at me with a bewildered frown, count the change AGAIN, and finally call her manager.

When that bastion of intelligence arrived, he swiftly undertook the only obvious course of action: he counted the change, glanced at the screen, counted the change again, then glanced at me suspiciously like he thought I’d pocketed the rest when the cashier wasn’t looking.

Finally they opened the cash drawer and handed me my 35 cents. And did nothing about the malfunctioning change dispenser. sigh

…Buyer steps up to the register, here’s the pitch–
he’s going, and what a jump he’s got, he’s trying
for double-coupons, here’s the throw, it’s in the dirt–
Holy cow, he got the discount!

You saw her first. Can I at least high-five her at the reception?

How 'bout Pete Rose?

You are my favourite poster.

I think this is important:

“…counting change wtihout relying on the magic box…”

If a cashier counts change back properly, the coins will hit the hand first. The “magic box” has eliminated the need to “count back”, and I think that’s why the bills land first these days.

VCNJ~

Well, yeh, I agree, but the cashier doesn’t care; doesn’t affect him or her except if you slow down the line by blocking the next person in line while you fumble with all your nitpicky little bodily receptacles. :wink:

The stores around here used to have those, but they malfunctioned so much they did away with them. I used to love them - if I was getting back less than .10 I didn’t bother, and so did a lot of other people. So there was usually a “need a penny” tray right there!

As for the OP, I consider it bad enough that they put the coins on top of the bills in my hand. If a cashier ever threw change at me, it would land on the floor and sit there while she called a manager to hear my complaint. I have sympathy for people who do those type of jobs - I have been there and done that. But the money is already dirty, your precious hands aren’t going to get any dirtier touching mine.

It’s a shame that decent customer service is becoming so rare I go out of my way to look up a manager to compliment someone who is nice. Not even going out of their way, just nice.

Having been the ticket taker at a movie theater I know exactly how people, no matter how nice they are by themselves, can be complete jerks in crowds.

However, just because costomer A behaves as you describe is that any reason to take it out on customer B?

That reminds me, on a trivial level, of invading Iraq because some Saudis, Lebonese and Egyptians based in Afghanistand crashed into the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

*Don’t throw my change at me
Don’t fear my germs too much
Don’t use that Purell too much.
People will say you’re a nut.

When I cough don’t turn away from me.
Your bugs are so like mine.
If you think your hand can’t touch mine
People will say you’re a nut!

Don’t start wearing rubber gloves
Just hand me my goddamn change
Sweetheart, you’re a paranoid
People will say you’re a nut.*
(Adapted from “Oklahoma”)

I hate the coins on top of the paper money because of one major annoyance. The bills make a little “slide” and many times the coins slide right off and on to the floor. Then I have to bend over and pick’em up and I hate flashin’ my ass.

I gotta start bendin’ at the knees, yea that’s it.
And gimme my damn coins back first!Then the paper!

My thoughts on the coins on top of notes are well documented:

But, back to the OP, what do you mean thrown at you exactly? I assume you mean they toss it into your hand and sometimes it spills. You surely don’t mean actually thrown at your head/body or whatever? Or do you mean tossed across the counter?

Whatever you mean, i’m with you. Staright back between the eyes.

Forget the hygiene angle, forget the speed thing, it’s just rude not to hand you something appropriately.