Stop Throwing Change at Me

It’s even worse when they do that when you’re in the drive thru lane. Then, the money slides onto the ground. No way am I opening my car door and getting out to pick it up. Most times, I can’t even open my car door wide enough. I insist the cashier replace whatever coins fell. Someone has time to go outside later and pick up the change.

Maybe that’s the whole idea? :smiley:

I have always laid the coins on top of the bills, on top of the receipt. The magic box doesn’t always even get any attention paid to it, because sometimes I glance at the amount, and sometimes I just count change back, but it all ends up in the same order. It’s pretty simple for the customer to transfer the change into free hand, put in pocket, and then put the bills/receipt in the wallet.

You keep paper money wadded up in your pocket? I think that’s unusual. Most people carry a billfold of some kind.

Ever heard of a money clip?

(bolding mine)

What free hand? You mention a wallet. I remove my wallet from my pocket with my left hand, extract the bills and pay the cashier with my right hand. The cashier puts the change in my right hand, coins on top. My wallet is still in my left hand and doesn’t have a pocket for change.

At that point both my hands are occupied. Perhaps you have three hands?

What is this throwing and flicking change thing? I’ve never actually seen anyone do that (and I live in a city where people can be a bit rude).

Is it a New York thing?

I, for one, will stop right where I am, whether it’s to take care of getting money put in my pockets instead of on the floor, or to remove the canned goods from the top of my tomatoes, or to call the manager. By remaining in the traffic flow while I fix the problem, I encourage them to do it right the first time next time.

No, you don’t. All you do is to encourage the people behind you to start having lynching fantasies centered around you. The cashiers, as a general rule, don’t get paid enough to give a shit.

That’s not my problem.

That’s not my problem, either. I suspect though, that they, as I did when I was a cashier, have enough self interest to do things the way the asshole wants next time.

And your point is? Even if you use a money clip, you’d handle the change separately from the bills, would you not? Unless you have a money clip that holds change as well. :confused: I’d be interested to see how you hold change in a money clip.

You don’t understand. There’s no self-interest involved here precisely because, as QED said, they don’t give a shit. You haven’t harmed them or made them feel bad, at least not about the way they’re doing things.

-FrL-

Has anyone other than the OP noticed cashiers throwing change? I’ve never seen this happen. I can’t actually even imagine it. I mean… throwing change? How do you catch it?

-FrL-

People are probably dropping change in his hand with about an inch seperation (which is what I did/do) and he’s freaking out.

You said “mouth,” right? :o

It is real simple, I just don’t take it. I say, “I can’t handle it with the coins on top so could / would you hand me just the coins and then the bills and receipt?” problem solved. If you are a regular customer, they will soon get it right for you. We even go to the lady we like in Wal*Mart as she is fast, funny and we can kid around. A few others we have trained also so if needed we can take their check out lane.

Drive bys, same deal.

The underpaid, non-caring, stony / glassy eyed drone at the register need not care but I do not care either if I get them fired.

And believe you me, if I am a regular at a store, I will get the asshat fired who does not learn. Then they can bother somebody else with their ‘tude’.

What is really fun is my wife when some idiot starts the ‘Royal “WE” shtick’ with her…

Like I said, it doesn’t happen. If you work in retail a bit you will notice that “s/he THREW MY CHANGE AT ME!” is one of the more common lies that psychotic people tell in order to start fights inside stores. I don’t think they know they are lying–again, they are just paranoid people who assume everyone else is out to get them, so they really do perceive everyone else in the world as victimizing them somehow. We have our very own damaged individual here on the board bringing his outward-directed aggression to us, and we should take the opportunity to find out what makes such a person tick.

Oh sure. And does anyone clean out the small metal tray into which literally THOUSANDS of filthy hands and fingers dip daily??

–wrings hands-- Why won’t someone think of the customer?