Story about a king losing land to his map

Can anyone help me track down a cite/more information for this story?

In medieval Europe King such-and-such (Louis ?? of France?) commissioned the first scientifically drawn map of his kingdom. The team of surveyors and cartographers fanned out to accurately map where his borders were and how large the country was. When they presented their final product, a new map of the land, it turned out the country was much smaller than previously thought. Upon finding this out the King said “I have lost more land to my mapmakers than to any war.”

I’ve given it the usual Google effort but I don’t have much specific to go on other than that quote and most of the words are really common so the search results are just unhelpful.

Thanks in advance!

This extract mentions it. Apparently the area of France was revised down by 6000 square leagues.

I am pretty sure that was Louis XV of France in the context of the Cassini Map, the first rigorous modern map of France published in the 1740s.

ETA: Too slow.

Thanks for the cite Meurglys!

Here’s an almost similar story from a very different time and place, except here there was deliberate fraud in progress.

When the United States endeavored to build the First Transcontinental Railroad in the 1860’s, Congress gave heavy subsidies to the railroad companies (The Union Pacific and The Central Pacific) to finance them. Greater subsidies were given for the miles through the Sierra mountains, as that was much more difficult terrain than building on the flatlands. In those days, California was still the far-distance Far West, and the people in Congress didn’t really know the geography very well.

On the western side of the Sierras, heading down toward Sacramento, the robber barons of the railroads jiggered the maps to make the mountains extend some miles further westward toward Sacramento, in order to get the increased subsidies for the extra mountain mileage. They became known as the Men Who Could Move Mountains.

Cite: Iron Wheels and Broken Men by Richard O’Connor, 1973, with 380 pages exploring the darker side of the building of the First Transcontinental Railroad.