Original Trek at least consulted Sci-Fi writers. You would think they could have a physicist Trekkie fan available for some cheap consulting. I feel @neiltyson would be willing for a nominal fee and probably a hundred others.
I think Scotty stuck to saying klicks and not kilometers, if so we can assume klicks mean something else in their time, in space.
The long distance transport ties into something from the newer movies where Scotty was working on Interstellar transports. Also in TOS, Gary Seven had Transported I think over 1000 light years to earth.
It’s not the science that bothers me, it’s the sloppiness. I’d like to feel that somebody cares enough to at least give it a second thought. But stuff like this just seems like going with whatever the first person blurts out in the writer’s room brainstorm.
Nah, it was definitely kilometers, I just went back to check. It’s also in the closed captions.
Well the original Star Trek series is in the future of this show, so perhaps what Scotty was trying to do was the best possible at the time? (Yes, it’s a weak argument.)
It would be yet another impossibly powerful technology that they’d have to find an excuse not to use. Develop some tech like phasers and tricorders that puppets could use, and you could make almost anyone virtually indestructible. Any really dangerous mission? Puppet me up, Scotty!
Well, Spock dreamed it would take two days. We already see that Spock is in a bit of a frazzled state, so is it too much of a leap that dreaming-Spock blocks out that there are other ships close by?
Close, but explicitly not the same timeline per the Romulan spy in “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow”: “…time itself is pushing back and events re-insert themselves and all of this was supposed to happen back in 1992…” but it didn’t. Not in this episode’s alternate universe and not in La’an’s home universe either. But per Voyager’s “Future’s End” the split could go back at least that far because that crew was not at all concerned with any Eugenics Wars going on while they were on Earth in the 90’s.
There’s a novel series that postulates just that although the novels aren’t considered canon. Now that I look up specifics on “Future’s End”, I see Rain Robinson (played by Sarah Silverman!) had a model of the Botany Bay so perhaps that isn’t where the timeline split after all.
-400° in the hallways seems pretty crazy to me only minutes after shutting off the life support. That is 127° below absolute zero if they are using Celsius or 60° above if you are using Fahrenheit. I will cut the doctor a little slack since he was suffering from blood loss and extreme trauma.
This episode definitely stretched plausibility, but it was a lot better and more fun than the last few.