Strange voting spam?

Although I am in favor of citizens voting, I am not in favor of spam.

Today, I received a suspicious postcard. There was no return address or sender name other than “Susie.”

Front of postcard

Back of postcard (with my name and address blanked out) My name and addr was in green ink with similar writing to the rest of the card.

Note the postmark from Oakland, CA. I live in Wisconsin, and this postcard seems to refer to local elections.

So what is this? The “handwritten” text is likely computer generated. Not all letters match, but there are computer fonts designed to be modified at random to appear non-computer generated. Even the crudely written address was “handwritten.” I can’t believe some human sat down to write multiple cards like this by hand.

It doesn’t appear to have any political bias or agenda. Yet if it were from some source like the League of Women Voters or other neutral group, why hide the source?

What is this?

The only Sue, Susie, or Susan I know happens to be involved with the local League of Women Voters, but she claims the LWV is not responsible for this and knows nothing about it. Who is spending such money anonymously?

It’s a postcard from Indivisible Chicago Alliance. It says so right on the card. If you go to that link you’ll see something that looks a lot like your postcard (blue Wisconsin with a cheese wedge) labeled “host a postcard party”.

Their current goal is to send 2,000,000 postcards to voters in Wisconsin and Michigan.

I tend to take these things at face value. My guess is that it is an individual or small set of activists in Oakland, who realize that their vote in California is irrelevant and so are sending out postcards to registered Democrats in the swing state of Wisconsin to get out the vote. If it is a computerized font, its a pretty sophisticated one. Although all the letters are similarly constructed, none of them exactly match. It doesn’t take that much time to jot down a quick note, If you can crank out one ever two minutes that’s about 33 cents at $10.00 an hour, less than the cost of the stamp.

ETA: or what lance Trubo said.

Thanks, Lance Turbo & Buck Godot. What a stupid, wasteful and offensive campaign. Ordinarily, I don’t follow any spammer’s instructions on principle, but this puts me in a quandary.

I’m not seeing how it’s stupid, wasteful, **or **offensive.

Being encouraged to go vote is not offensive.

Being given legitimate information about how to receive an absentee ballot is not spam.

These people are doing important work, especially in an age where misinformation regarding voting days and polling places is so distressingly common.

Then why are they going to such extremes to disguise their message? Signing “Susie” isn’t an honest way of sending a message; it’s pretending to be someone they are not. Why do you think it wasn’t printed in Times New Roman or Helvetica, but a pseudo-handwritten font? Why was no return address included? Were they ashamed of where it came from? This is not an informative letter with useful information; it’s unwanted and crafted to mislead. That’s pretty much the definition of spam.

My sister participates in stuff like that. I’m proud of her. It’s like a Get Out The Vote deal, and she spends her own time trying to encourage others to vote. Also, I’m proud of her for it.

It has already been pointed out to you that **the source of the postcard is printed right on the postcard. **

It has also been pointed out to you that the postcard likely came from an organized “postcard party” and therefore did it fact come from an actual human being.

I agree that somebody is going to extremes here, but it’s not the person who sent you that postcard.

Not likely. Can you imagine the time it would take to write all of that shit? Some dude printed it.

Someone who thinks they will have an effect, but is delusional, attempted to hide by not providing their name. That’s a waste in so many ways.

Note the sig was not “Chicago Alliance”, which would have been at least honest, but “Susie,” which was probably not. This was intentional fraud.

This was not a personal note; it was advertising spam. Not much different from the telephone spam I get every day pretending to know what kind of car I have and offering to extend my warranty, or reduce my credit card interest rates or ship me a “free” medical alert device.

Advertising for what? The organization that you didn’t notice?

Heh, so this all boils down to you being unable to conceive of activism that takes time? Got it. Say no more.

Oh, good grief.

It’s from a postcard party. A batch of people sit down together and write postcards for a couple of hours. The Democratic Party in my county also holds the things; I get notices for them, though I haven’t yet made it to one. There is almost certainly an actual Susie who personally wrote that, in her actual handwriting, and honestly signed her actual name. And it does say that it’s from the Chicago Alliance, so no they’re not ashamed of or trying to hide which group is writing the postcards.

If you google Chicago Alliance postcard party you’ll get lots of hits. Here’s a couple.

https://www.indivisiblechicago.com/postcard-posse

From Thorny Locust’s first link:
Over 320,000 postcards have been written to Wisconsin Voters!

OMG. I hope nobody paranoid got one!
:smiley:

NOT LIKELY.

edit: I GUESS THE WHOLE POST CAN’T BE IN CAPS?

How gullible can you get?

It is 100% hand written and signed by an actual Suzie.

That’s the whole point of the campaign. Send postcards with handwritten notes to Wisconsin and Michigan voters. This is one of the things this organization does. They started for the 2018 election and you are witnessing their 2020 effort.

More info: 2020 Postcard Posse

Tweet from a postcard party (with pictures).

Another.

I agree. Freaking out about postcard conspiracies is really ridiculous.

So, you never received any junk mail before in your life? Throw it away and stop obsessing over it.