Stuck padlock

I have a padlock which will not open - I can turn the key and feel the latch disengage, but the U does not come out and so the lock does not open. It seems to be rusted shut. I’ve applied WD40 without success.

I have a padlock which will not open - I can turn the key and feel the latch disengage, but the U does not come out and so the lock does not open. It seems to be rusted shut. I’ve applied WD40 without success. I need to get into the closet it locks. Any suggestions on how to open it?

Huh?
Added to your post while it was trying to load didn’t you.

Anyway. Try sitting the padlock in a container of wd40 for a while. An hour, or a day even.

1. Obtain hammer.
  2. Apply key to lock, simultaneously smacking the lock with a downward force.
  3. Repeat until unlocked.

Since the WD40 hasn’t done the trick, the next choice is fire. A propane torch carefully applied to the shackle (the U-shaped portion) may assist in breaking the corrosion within the mechanism. Be careful not to damage adjacent surfaces and/or you. After a few minutes of cooking, try the key again, and with the assistance of a friend, apply a sharp rap to the lock body-driving it down and away from the shackle while the key is held in the open position.

If that doesn’t work, it’s time to invite Mr. Boltcutter for a visit. :cool:

Silly me. I responded to your first thread. Where it wasn’t apparent that the padlock was actually in use. In which case it would be quite difficult to sit it in a container of wd40.

Ziplock bag, good portion of WD40 or “3in1 oil”. Place over lock, partialy close, squeeze out air, complete closure. Give it about 30 Min. then remove and hit with hammer! Delay fire treatment until most of oil has dripped off!

Good suggestions all, thanks.

It only takes moderate force to pry open a padlock. All you need is a small crowbar or a stout screwdriver and about 5 minutes. Just use the lever to seperate the lock…

Sound advice there :wink:

A pair of bolt cutters can be had for less than 20$ if you know where to look, and can lead to interesting conversations should you have to use it in a public area. :wink:

Plus they look cool on your garage wall… I’d lend you mine but it’d probably be a bit of a walk.

Plenty of WD40, a bit of time, and brute force did the trick.