Stupid Gun news of the day (Part 1)

Huh? You might want to put down the crack pipe. Or at least share more of it with your friends. Guns can kill when used according to manufacturer specifications but they are hardly unique for that just to name swords off the top of my head.

1. Do you have any stats on sword deaths in the U.S.?
  2. In how many states is it legal to carry a sword in public?

I think the 0.08 BAC is a dumb limit and I would rather have a performance based standard that included things like other drugs or being sleepy. I’m against lowered the BAC and would be ok with it being raised. I think most of the distracted driver laws are stupid and I’d be ok with their being repealed. I’m comfortable with testing prior to a license being granted and requiring a license for use on public roads as well as the revocation of that license. I really don’t care if other people have insurance for their cars and I’d be ok with that requirement being removed.

Cars have much higher utility than guns and therefore we accept a higher death toll. Once we add in the effects of car emissions there are close to 60k death in the US from passenger cars. I wouldn’t do anything to decrease the utility of cars to have a lower death rate like a national 55mph speed limit. Guns have a utility as well and I wouldn’t want to do anything to decrease that utility to have a lower death rate either. I’d be very ok to lower the death rate without harming the utility though. Which is why I think red flag laws are a great idea. I’d also be ok with regulating gun similarly to how we regulate cars. But I do not think we are at the balancing point with either guns or cars where any increase in deaths must be immeasitly stopped either.

“Irresponcible” people need to be able to defend themselves as well. Depending on how you want to define irresponsible I probably even agree with you that they shouldn’t have access to a fire arm. I would prefer that criminals don’t have access to firearms and we should cut down on the ways that they are attaining. Preventing strawman buyers is a good thing and probably the single biggest thing that would prevent the flow of guns into the underworld. Almost no (less that 10% iirc) guns used in crime are stolen most of them are purchased either from a straw buyer or legally.

We do need to balance the right and freedom of people who are legal and “responsible” owners against whatever hardships we place on them in the name of preventing something bad. There is certainly room for a lot of regulation that is both non burdensome and useful.

1. Nope. Is that relevant to the them killing people when sued according to manufacturer directions?

2. No idea. I found California and Washington before I got bored. You might want to check Oregon and Idaho next and let me know in the morning.

Nothing of the sort!

I have some small debts in and around Chicago… and you seem to be just the Sucker to pay them. If the Board will allow an exception ( and if you actually have two nickels to your name ) I’d be happy to ‘up’ it to $80.

( Chicago Person Still Holds Funds, offer Void unless Approved by Mod. )

Are we still allowed to bet for quatloos around here?

Damn. I’ll never be able to pay off my debts at this rate…

How many places is it legal to carry swords around?

Edit: this is a legit curious question. Not trying to be snarky.

Here is a video from the incident at Oxford High school in Michigan from yesterday. Its my understanding that it was indeed the gun man knocking at the door. I am impressed by the kids in the video, they wasted no time making their escape.

Just awful that our kids have to continue to go through these things.

He used a gun his father purchased just 4 days ago. Three families devastated.

Nope, clearly against the rules.

Uncertain. The first two I looked at we legal last night. Both Washington and California allow it as long as it is sheathed in California and you are threatening in washington.

Damn, good job by the kids.

Pranks! Guns! What could go wrong?

Not sure how the charge is involuntary manslaughter. Seems to me that the perpetrator had planned in advance to intentionally shoot the victim in the face with a gun.

What a hilarious prank! Prank connoisseur @Mark_Finn should check this one out, maybe he can try it next time he stays at a hotel!

I don’t understand. It was a perfect plan. What could possibly go wrong ??

:-/

I was actually wondering the same thing.

FindLaw: Is It Legal to Carry a Sword in Public?

So while it may be legal in some specific circumstances, carrying a sword in public is typically illegal.

Show me an advertisement for a sword that says it has high stopping power. Swords are marketed for sport and display. Yes, they can be lethal, but I don’t hear any noise about the right to bear swords. Also a gun can kill someone from a distance.

Deaths don’t bother you. Well, that sums it up right there.

Wow. I hadn’t realized that firearms deaths were that far ahead.

There goes that bar-bet ( yeah, I Know its not allowed… but I have to pay Cusack back Somehow… )