Stupid Gun news of the day (Part 2)

So… lots and lots and lots can go wrong. Got it.

Background checks in Texas blocked over 8,000 gun sales last year.

How many mass shootings would there have been without background checks?

What’s the over/under on how many of those 8,000 currently do not have access to a gun?

We don’t know. Maybe all. Maybe none. It would be fallacy to assume anything in between, in the absence of data.

You mission, should you choose to accept it…

It’s TEXAS. We have plenty of data.

My guess would be “damn near none of them.”

I shall value your guess commensurate with what I paid for it.

You over paid.

What kind of background check does the winner need to run when they sell their freely acquired weapon to someone else?

If someone buys a gun, then they probably have a use for it, and will hang on to it. If someone wins a gun, they may very well prefer to have the money for it, and won’t ask too many questions of someone who wants to buy it.

[Texas does not require private sellers (sellers who are not licensed dealers) to initiate a background check when transferring a firearm.](Background Check Procedures in Texas | Giffords)

Yeah, Texas has the “gunshow loophole” making it very easy to buy a gun without a background check.

Yes, I know, my question was rhetorical.

But as, much of the guns trafficked in Texas end up being used for crimes in other states, and even other countries, I doubt they care.

It’s not a fallacy, it’s an estimate.

The fallacy is the assumption that 8,000 failed gun sales to people prohibited from owning guns means those 8,000 people don’t have guns. It’s a particularly fallacious implication when the state in question has a thriving background check free gun marketplace running in parallel to the FFL market place.

I agree. And I said as much.

For fuck’s sake - ANOTHER mass school shooting. This time at an elementary school. Looks like 14 kids killed and one teacher. This one was in TX. Too bad it’s so freaking easy to get guns.

Can you imagine having to go through that school cleaning up the bodies of 14 little kids?

I’d be interested to see if the shooter passed a background check to get his gun.

Should make Abbott do it.

I hated to do it, but I turned on Fox News a short time ago. The Five were of course talking about the shooting in Texas. Their solution?

Armed guards at every school building in America. Because, you know, there are a large number of retired cops and military dudes who would jump at the chance to be an armed guard at an elementary school.

Armed guards worked really well at parkland. 14 second to fourth graders are dead. The big idea they have is to have shootouts in elementary schools.

Nothing like deadly ignorance.

When I was attending public school in Texas nearly 20 years ago, we had a specific police officer assigned to both my junior high and high school campuses; it was called the SRO (Student Resource Officer). I don’t know if they have the same kind of thing these days for elementary schools or not.

Of course, it’s absolutely ridiculous to suggest that small children have to go to a fucking armed base to attend school.

IIRC, a “hero* with a gun” did hit the Buffalo shooter at least once before being killed himself. Turns out his weapon was no match for body armor.

* Any sarcasm directed at the concept, not the actual hero. “Greater love…”