Subnautica

Balance - Okay, watched some videos. This is a lengthy game and I admit that I admit that I didn’t have the patience to watch from beginning to end, but I did get a general gist. As far as I can tell, the biggest danger isn’t so much getting whomped by a Level 5,000 terror torpedoing in out of nowhere but by trying to do just a bit too much, whereupon “a bit too much” quickly becomes “way too much”, followed quickly by “suicide”. The thing is, it takes work to make progress. Finding resources is work, processing resources is work, building bases is work, building vehicles is work, getting around is work, in all everything that needs to be accomplished in this game is lots and lots of work. And just one small mishap, just one bit of bad luck anywhere…getting lost away from the vehicle, getting attacked out of nowhere…can reset a lot of progress and create a major chokepoint.

So anyway, tried it again (in Freedom, of course), whereupon within the first five minutes, the following happened.

• I found one little bit of scrap in about a half acre of sea floor.
  • I learned I had absolutely no scanner blueprint whatsoever and no indication of how to get one.
  • I heard a noise somewhere and my health dropped by about 20 points for no apparent reason. (Even if this game isn’t filled with wall-to-wall jumpscares, I’d argue that being attacked by something you can’t see at all is even worse.)

You mentioned Getting Over It. Yeah, I know about Bennett Foddy (website here). He’s…weird. His thing seems to be royally screwing with conventional game mechanics just for the hell of it, or because he wants to put his unique stamp on his work. There’s no telling what he’ll crank out next…maybe it’ll be nearly unplayable but still plenty of mindless goofy fun (Winner vs. Loser), maybe it’ll be an old-fashioned time waster (Fly Flicker), maybe it’ll be an irreverent take on an old concept (Speed Chess), maybe it’ll be an ya-got-it-or-ya-don’t crusher where 98% of players can’t make it two steps but an elite few figure it out and go the distance (QWOP). The thing is, he can get away with it because he’s not chasing mainstream recognition or expecting big money. The players who shell out $10 or whatever for Getting Over It know exactly what they’re doing and willingly placing their money and sanity in the hands of an extremely eccentric programmer who’s openly called for games to be more aggravating and frustrating. So no, I’m not paying for any of his stuff, but I don’t feel like I’ve dodged a bullet, as he always been up front about what he is, whereas for Subnautica…I can’t say the same.

I was willing to give this a second chance. Having done so, I am now officially at the absolute end of my patience. Look, I’m sorry, but I have a hundred games where I don’t have to constantly sweat suffocating or geting slaughtered by invisible foes. The only thing that could keep me going if I don’t have to worry about these things at all.

And on that note…

AngelSoft - I can’t enter cheat codes. I pressed L1, R1, X, and Square. In the main game, in the PDF menu, on the title screen, everywhere I possibly could. Nothing.

Have you actually gotten cheats to work? Am I doing something wrong? They haven’t been removed, have they? Because I tell you right now, this is the only thing that will possibly bring me back.

(P.S. I looked up maps on the Wiki, and I learned that there used to be in-game maps but the developers took them out. And now I’m pretty upset because if I’d known about this beforehand, I wouldn’t have wasted five cents on this game. This is EXACTLY what ruined Minecraft, the programmers getting locked into the degenerate mentality, taking out every single thing even remotely fun thing in the game in an effort to make it harder and harder and harder. I have the feeling that if WWF Royal Rumble was released today, the simple, intuitive grapple meter would’ve been yanked after one month, and by 3.0 every CPU opponent would move at triple speed and do 500% damage. :mad:)