Suez blockage may cause run on toilet paper

I do have to say, it is nice not to give a shit when taking a shit about my TP stockpile.

Still, we never came close to running out last year even though I’m the only one who uses the bidet spray. Not too worried about it now. There’s many ways to wipe an ass. I’ll leave the rolls of TP for the people who really need it.

I have been laboring under the impression that the vast majority of toilet paper in the US is literally homegrown.

Where is this pulp getting shipped from that it has to go through the Suez Canal to get to the US? Looking at a map, it seems like there are few places where the Suez Canal is the shortest path to the US- maybe from India or Iran, but most of SE Asia would go through the Malacca Strait, and Mediterranean traffic would go through the Straits of Gibraltar, and the rest of European traffic would just go through the English Channel or straight out from somewhere like Lisbon or Brest.

Europe OTOH, is looking at shortages of all kinds of stuff coming out of Asia- I imagine nearly all their sea traffic from Asia, India, etc… goes through the Suez Canal.

We’ve just run a simulation here (global distribution business) and this supply chain disruption has real potential to be as significant as COVID.

With COVID the vessels were broadly in the right places, just either getting stock or container space was limiting.
Now, though factories are getting back into production but container space/distribution is still disrupted and there are a lot less options now for getting it onto a vessel.