Suggest a wedding song

Mrs. Magill and I slow danced to “Maybe I’m Amazed” by Paul McCartney, then we opened up then dance floor with Best Friend. It’s a fun song to do a lively bop to.

Making Memories of Us, originally written and sung by Rodney Crowell, also sung by Tracy Byrd, but finally made a top hit by Keith Urban.

My wife originally wanted “At Last” by Etta James, which is awesome and appropriate for many, many countless reasons. However, she ultimately decided to go a different route: “California Stars” by Billy Bragg and Wilco, with lyrics originally by Woody Guthrie (listen to the song with your eyes closed, please don’t watch the horrible video). It was the sweetest moment of my life.

“From This Moment” by Shania Twain

Just as Equipoise is always going to suggest a Happy Rhodes song, I’m always going to suggest a Eva Cassidy song. There’s something a little too sad about “Over the Rainbow,” so instead I’ll suggest “Fields of Gold”:

Very quiet, but wonderfully romantic -

The book of love is long and boring
The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the damn thing
It’s full of charts and facts and figures and instructions for dancing
But I
I love it when you read to me
And you
You can read me anything…

That’s so breathtakingly stunning. I own all of Eva’s albums and it still makes my heart ache that she didn’t live to see the effect that her gorgeous voice has on people. It makes my heart ache that people didn’t discover her while she was still alive. Wendell, don’t you wish you had discovered Eva while she was still playing clubs in Washington DC?

Noel Prosequi – we’re a little nuts on copyright issues around here. Please don’t post long chunks of lyrics – if you want people to be able to read the entire thing, pls. find it posted elsewhere and link.

Thanks.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

I love Eva Cassidy! So glad I’m not alone on these boards.

I also love her “What a Wonderful World” and “Honeysuckle Rose” but I could go on and on.

I love Somewhere over the rainbow. I adore this version.

As long as you don’t have many ER fans in the audience. :eek:

We went with N. Paul Stookey’s Wedding Song (Youtube video), as arranged for organ, guitar, and voice by the church’s organist, a friend of ours.

There’s really no chance you’ll use this since it’s not on YouTube and there aren’t even any good on-line audio samples.

Romance Is A Slow Dance performed by the Fabulous Twister Sisters on Mountain Stage Volume 3 is a lovely song that would be great for a first dance.

Here are the first eight lines of the lyrics (hope that’s not too many…]
Romance is a slow dance
To a sound as sweet as rain
It’s a new song you never heard before
Unfolding to you both the same

It takes time but you can get that step
Because lovin’ isn’t like a race
Romance is a slow dance
And your feet seem to fall in place*

The best audio clip is at the iTunes store (can’t link to it), but it comes in too late and exits too soon. Still, if any brides/grooms are looking for something lovely and uncommon (but that be appreciated on first hearing) it’s worth a 99 cent download.

Hard to go wrong with that one, except for some atheists that might object to the “straight from Scripture” nature of a few of the lyrics.

Beautiful song. Have it on my mp3 player, and it still sends chills up my spine!

My fiance and I are dancing to Time in a Bottle, but that’s in 3/4, so it may not be a great idea for someone who’s not a great dancer. As it is, I’ve been having a beast of a time trying to teach my fiance to dance to it.

Follow You Follow Me” by Genesis

Could I Have This Danceby Ann Murray.

Worked for us for 20 years, now.
I had suggested a Beatles tune, but was over-ruled.

How about some irony?

KD Lang. Leavin on your Mind:smiley:

I was going to reccommend this song, too–the Magnetic Fields do a nice cover. Also good, if you’re a tad perverse: Tom Waits, ‘I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You’.

Seriously? At a wedding?? (Or am I just missing the joke norinew? I’m not religious but I’ve read Corinthians at a friend’s wedding because it meant something to them).

I had good friends have their first dance to Split Enz “I See Red”… well it’s not a power ballad. :slight_smile:

How about The Police “Every Breath You Take”. :smiley:

(Yes… I know… IIRC Sting was surprised that it’s popular as a wedding song…)