Sunday Morning Puzzle #77 --- Hollywood Reps

This puzzle is a list of scrambled movie titles with something in common. The titles have been broken into “doublets”, and the doublets have been alphabetized.

Example:

AM ER IC AN BE AU TY
AM AN AU BE ER IC TY

Problems:

1. Prior to being broken into doublets, the common factor in each title was replaced with an appropriate representative.

2. There are extra letters. When an altered title had an odd number of letters, an extra letter was added at the end so that the title could be evenly broken into doublets. When an altered title had an even number of letters, an extra doublet was added to cause confusion.

Mitigating Circumstance: The extra letters, when read in order from top to bottom, spell out a current “top dog” and a rep.

Can you discover the altered titles, the original titles, and the extras?

1. AI DE EA ET JA LL ME ND ON VI XS
  2. AM GY KE PI PS YS
  3. EL ER ES EY IV LA NC OD OF PA TH WH
  4. AN DD DT EF HE IE MA NB OW RE SN TH
  5. AL AY CA EC EY FT HE LA NO ST TH VE
  6. BU IL LE LY MI SB
  7. AP BL EM EU IN KA LY NS OL PE RC TH TR
  8. BA DY NR OW SC UR
  9. AG EL ES IT NA RA TH TL TR
  10. ER ER IN NT OA PT RY TH WI
  11. EO FT HE NG NK PI RA RE RP SI UR VE
  12. AN DE DI ES HA OP SL TH WO
  13. FI GU LM MB NF OE OS RE
  14. AC EA IC TR
  15. AY DR ED ET OF TH TH

Whee! I solved my first Biotop puzzle! Back when I went to school in Florida, I figured I’d never be able to solve any of these, but I finally managed to sail fearlessly in with a solution! And I didn’t even need to get a Halloween costume to do it!

Arr!

Oh, and BTW, Biotop, I found #14 to be a little bit of a stretch, especially since there are at least a couple of other titles I thought might’ve been better - you can remember one (though it might give too big a hint to the overall theme), but the other clashes with my wardrobe…

But cool, and doubly appropriate, nonetheless. :wink:

Congratulations Leaper!

I like #14 for its elegant simplicity…even though that answer does bend the rule slightly. Those other two titles involve plurals --which I tried to avoid for overall consistancy.

Odd, there seem to be no titles for the Arrowhead connection. Such a common word…yet where are the films? Arr indeed!