Super Bowl 51: Patriots vs Falcons

Thought I’d make a new thread since a lot of people will be watching the Super Bowl who weren’t watching the playoffs thus far.

Tom Brady and the Patriots are after their 5th superbowl ring in the Bellichick era, whereas the Falcons have been there once in 1998 but never won it. The Patriots are a three point favorite even though the Falcons have been more dominant in their playoff run.

Game is scheduled to begin in a few hours, at 6:30 eastern.

I also started a Superbowl Commercials Thread in cafe society since that usually generates as much discussion as the game itself.

Go football team! Beat the other one!

And a new 24 after!

I’m rooting for Falcons, but it’ll be Pats by 10.

What is the current spread anyway?

I kinda want Brady to get number 5 and hope that he retires. Age creeps up on a man. One day, an athlete like Brady’s able to evade the blindside shot from a 295-pound defensive end who can bench press twice his own weight. Then one day, he gets flattened and has back pain the rest of his life.

Using the point totals and various games since week 8 as metrics, I’d probably give the edge to the Patriots, who might win 28-24 or 30-27 or something like that. I think the Falcons are actually a more athletic and more talented team and if they can scheme and execute early in the game and jump out to a lead, maybe they can make it difficult for the Pats to catch up. I think the Pats’ edge is in coaching and having players who execute complex schemes to near perfection. And as Cris Carter said: the Pats actually do have great athletes who are deceptively athletic and talented. But a dropped pass here and a mistake there, and who knows what happens. It’s definitely a winnable game for Atlanta. But it takes guts to bet against the Belichick / Brady greatness.

You need this shirt.

Man, they butchered “America the Beautiful”!

On a more personal note, I hated the massively ad-libbed “Star-Spangled Banner”

I’m predicting the final score as Atlanta 31 New England 27

SenorBeef, my hat’s off to you for using Arabic rather than the pretentious Roman numerals.

Brady sacked twice on this drive. This is shaping up to be a very interesting game.

So, the Pats don’t have a rushing game and right now the Falcons are getting it all on the ground. If the Falcons can move the chains a few times on the ground I like their chances.

I agree. Ryan can’t choke though. Great game thus far.

And Brady at 39 is an inspiration. All respect even though i hate the Pats.

TD Falcons! On the ground.

Its becoming obvious that this is Atlanta’s game to lose.

The no-huddle offense is killing NE.

TD Atlanta! Ryan to Hooper.

Great game plan thus far for atl but never never let up on Bellichek.

I’d love for this to end in a humiliating blowout, however unlikely that is.

My prediction in the Playoffs thread: Atlanta in a blowout, because of unabashed homerism…

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=19967851&postcount=195