Superman and Lois Season 1

I got very uncomfortable when Lois started reporting from the rooftop in the middle of a Kryptonian attack on the city. The whole sequence was extremely well done.

Hadn’t Lois seen the recording of that in John Henry’s RV? She must have seen the similarity even as she stood on the roof. Lois has brass ones.

So help me, if they kill off Jordan, I’ll…I’ll… I’ll write a very strongly worded letter to the Times, I will! VERY strongly worded!

Wow, was this a great episode!

1. A great focus on the Lang family, and what the “normals” of Smallville are doing.
  2. LOVED the Town Hall meeting. And the folks getting the realization of WHY the DOD was in the town, after they saw Edge destroy Metropolis.
  3. Loved the callbacks to the previous episodes. And I still don’t trust the tramp going after Jonathan. Hussy.
  4. I really liked that Irons didn’t immediately let Jonathan hang around and learn. And he called back to his trauma from the alt-universe. Really well done.
  5. I think the scenes of the boys watching TV, surrounded by friends, was very very well done. “Dude… your mom…”. Again, it shows what the “normals” react like when the Superheroes are active.
  6. I’m very worried General Lane is greviously hurt.
  7. I also thought that this car accident would activate Jonathan’s powers. I guess that theory is wrong.
  8. “Lois, I looked… everywhere”. And you know he means it.

Dang, I love this show!

I’ve also got to say, DC/CW has really upped their game as far as FX and production values. They’re still not as good as Marvel/Disney+, but they’ve gone from distractingly bad in earlier Arrowverse shows to pretty good, even impressive at times.

After John Henry Irons used the shielding in nuclear reactors to hide from x-ray vision earlier this season, I would think Clark would go check those at superspeed. Alas, no, his literal blind spot is now also a figurative blind spot.

S01E15 Last Sons of Krypton

SEASON FINALE DIRECTED BY TOM CAVANAGH - In the action-packed season finale, Superman’s worst nightmare comes to life, and Lois confronts Leslie Larr (guest star Stacey Farber). Meanwhile, Lana, Kyle and Sarah agree to stay to help General Lane.

It was an ok finale. A bit of a quick resolution for all the build up. I felt Jordan was too easily cured of Zeta Rho and that he’ll probably be back if need be for story purposes.

I wonder if Tal-Rho is going to become a good guy and get the family he always wanted with Kal and Friends and set up for a big bad that will take both of them to fight off or if he’s going to decide to stay a bad guy or just go off and do his own thing somewhere else.

John Henry’s daughter showing up at the end is interesting. I wonder if they are setting up for a spin-off. “Steel and Daughter”. I’d probably watch it.

This was, like, the third finale this season. I can forgive them spending time to tie everything up in Smallville. It was refreshing to not end on some earth-shattering cliffhanger. I’m quite happy for John Henry that Natalie was able to follow him to Earth Prime.

Really, really liked it. Loved the story resolutions, both on the large level (Eradicator) and with the Lang family (everyone works together after the destruction of Smallville). I don’t know about his daughter coming back. I know the number on her ship meant something, but I don’t know what.

I really, really enjoyed this show this season.

Did…did Clark’s family throw him a surprise funeral?

I did appreciate that this version of Jor-El was just straightforwardly a decent man. At this point, non-revisionist takes of classic characters where they’re just basically decent people feel fresh and innovative.

I thought the resolution of Jordan’s possession actually ran about as long as it needed to - they’d already done an extended version with Clark, no need to spend half the episode in Jordan’s mind.

I’m interested in what they do with Natalie. It seems to be an iron law of CW/DC shows that they all become super-team shows. We already have Superman and Steel, and kinda-sorta Superboy. Maybe they’ll give Natalie her “Starlight” powers from the comics, or probably more likely, she’ll succeed her dad as Steel. It seemed like they were setting up Jonathon as Henry’s new apprentice, then that kind of fizzled. But I kind of like Jonathon as the totally normal guy that uses tech, cleverness, and sheer courage to fight the bad guys.

Since both Henry and Natalie have come through to Earth-1, it seems like only a matter of time before Dark Superman follows. I’m guessing that’s going to be the big showdown in Season 2.

Oh, god, I hope not - how about a totally different season arc and big bad guy?

Yeah. I was confused for a minute on that one. I thought they were symbolically reburying John Kent for, reasons? Until they showed the broken crystal and realized it was Jor-El.

On the one hand, I agree with that, from a dramatic/narrative standpoint. On the other hand, the show has established that there is an alternate Earth ruled by genocidal Kryptonians, led by Dark Superman, and travel between the worlds is possible, as we’ve now seen twice. They kind of have to do something with that. Even if Natalie is the last surviving human and there’s nothing to go back to, that still leaves an army of genocidal Dark Kryptonians who could cross over and destroy Earth-1 at any time.

But maybe they’ll just handwave something about what Henry did when he jumped universes not only killed Dark Superman, it also somehow disrupted the X-Kryptonite possessions, and his Earth is safe, and now he and Natalie can stick around and help Earth-1.

Evidently, there’s an online scene showing Clark going back to the fortress to retrieve the crystals. It wasn’t shown on broadcast TV. Why? No idea.

The broadcast version has to fit within a strict runtime of one hour including commercials. The online version doesn’t have strict runtime restrictions. From what I’ve seen, the online and over-the-air broadcast versions of most of the CW’s shows are identical, but Super and Lois in particular streams as an “extended cut”, which is a bit longer. I’m guessing the CW is experimenting with different formats, and seeing if a special streaming edition of each episode drives additional viewers to their website and app, and additional ad revenue.

Really? Because I view it through Amazon and they definitely showed that scene. Leaving it out would be confusing with the “surprise funeral”. I’m guessing someone cut it, thinking such a short scene wasn’t important, so they could squeeze another revenue-generating commercial in.

Yep. Seeing them in their suits, by the tree, was a surprise.

Stargirl also uses an extended cut for streaming. I think those are the only CW shows that do this.

Season 2 starts tonight (Jan 11)

Brian

New season thread here: