Superman and Lois Season 2

Turns out Lois’ sister Lucy really is in deep with the cult. I wonder if this subplot is a commentary on the Allison Mack situation. Lois called cult leader Ally Allston a parasite. In the Adventures of Superman Vol.1 #630, Alexendra Allston was introduced as Parasite. I’m kind of hoping that comes into play later. Maybe she and Bizarro can go at it.

Not sure I’m really digging this season so far. Each member of the main family if off dealing with their own problems and the show suffers when they’re not there to play off each other.

Also, wow, this version of Lois Lane has a bad sense of journalistic ethics and should not have any credibility. That should be a much bigger deal than the show writers maybe realize.

None of the Arrowverse has done well with journalistic ethics (or realism). Compared to the mess at CatCo & the Citizen, Lois is a paragon of virtue.

Jenna Dewan did play Lucy in Supergirl, she was military? I think? And she did break up with her fiance (Jimmy) about 5 years ago. So, is this in the same universe or?

So, Jon is definitely going down the “I’m gonna take drugs” route. Clearly, that is not going to end well. The twins are flipping their roles - Jon is becoming the mal-adjusted bad boy and Jordan is getting his shit together.

Hope Anderson is happy - got two of his pets killed. Looks like the friction between him and Superman will continue. I expect Anderson will find a way to blame Supes (never mind that Supes warned him repeatedly about his team not being ready) rather that take responsibility himself.

Looks like they’re lining up several storylines. I sort of hope that, instead of the crap getting deeper all season they’ll have occasional resolutions along the way so we get some happy/satisfying bits along with all the drama.

Lucy was in fact General Lane’s deputy at the D.E.O. on Supergirl. She even met Barry Allen when he inadvertently traveled to Earth-38. Note that this was all the Earths merged in the Crisis. This version of Lucy seems quite different. During Lois and Lucy’s confrontation, Lucy spoke of getting in touch with her other self. I wonder if that other self was actually her pre-Crisis version. Maybe the cult is all about looking for their doppelgangers.

I’m finding the Lucy Lane storyline tedious and predictable (especially once Sofia called the cult leader at the end). It’s close to unwatchable.

I also wish they did more with Lois and Natalie; what could have been a rich area for drama seems to have been completely dropped.

The battle scenes are meh. I’ve grown tired of CGI fight scenes that act like gravity doesn’t exist. It’s not that CGI is necessarily bad, but how its portrayed is more and more formulaic.

I hope it improves. There was a lot of good things in the show, but it’s getting away from them.

Is it no coincidence that Ally Allston’s “Inverse Society” and Bizarro, an inverse Superman, have shown up at the same time? Could this version of Bizarro hail from wherever the Inversers are trying to go when they ascend? Does the Inverse Method make them wacky because it puts them in touch with their bizarro selves?

And both Lucy and Superman have had visions of another self. Hmm.

I figure if I throw out enough theories on different shows, sooner or later I’m bound to be right at least once. Maybe.

S02E05 Girl…You’ll Be A Woman Soon

THINGS TAKE A TURN ON SARAH’S BIG DAY - Lana, Kyle and Sarah prepare for Sarah’s quinceañera, but things don’t end up going as smoothly as they had hoped. Clark finds himself struggling with feelings of guilt about what happened to John Irons and Lois worries that she might have been wrong about Ally (guest star Rya Kihlstedt). Meanwhile, Jonathan learns that Ret. General Samuel Lane is planning to train Jordan. Lastly, Chrissy goes searching for the truth about Lois.

Some interesting twists, here. I’m happy to see that we’re not getting the “character makes a poor decision to use drugs and has a complete change in personality” trope - Jonathan continues to be a basically good kid, in spite of his occasional dumbass choices, which is a realistic portrayal of a teenager.

I was expecting that the Bizarro and cult storylines would be somehow connected. I never thought, though, they would be connected this early and so explicitly. Chrissy going rogue and Ascending was probably the best way to introduce the idea that Ally Allston was some sort of supervillain in the Bizarro dimension. And now Chrissy is back on Team Lois.

Now is the Cushings’ plot arc going to be connected? Maybe Kyle is going to join the cult.

I’m losing interest in the Bizarro storyline. It’s just tedious and filled with dull fight scenes and eliminates the goofiness that made Bizarro so appealing.

I much rather prefer the parts with the family dynamics.

In any case, I did love the callback to the Christopher Reeve Superman in the device that was being used to imprison the Bizarro (though it wasn’t on fire in the movie).

So… is it just drugs or is Jonathan really getting powers?

I assume it is just the yellow kryptonite drug, or possibly the drug is jump-starting latent powers. The batch of locals recruited by Morgan Edge to be converted into Kryptonians were supposedly only susceptible due to long term exposure from living near the mines. People from outside Smallville couldn’t safely become psuedo-Kryptonians. Jonathan has only lived in Smallville for perhaps a year, but the yellow Kryptonite drug works on him anyway, possibly because of his partial Kryptonian heritage?

I would be amused if he thinks it is the drug, but it is actually his own powers. Maybe he is like Dumbo, thinking he needs the feather/drug to fly.

Usually the big fight with the Big Bad occurs at the end of the episode. I think it’s rather telling that they put this one in the middle. Bizarro isn’t a villain. The real Big Bad is Ally Allston. I’m sure family dynamics is going to come into play since Lucy is still caught up in the cult.

:person_facepalming:

Of course! That’s where it’s from. I feel stupid for not recognizing it until you pointed it out.

So in this episode Superman saves the Big Bad from another hero. It’s not Kryptonity - it’s irony

S02E06 Tried and True

AMY JO JOHNSON (“FELICITY”) DIRECTS - Lois tells Clark that she and Chrissy plan to do a deeper dive into the Inverse Society and Lana and Sarah try to comfort each other after the fallout at Sarah’s quinceañera. Meanwhile, Jordan notices something suspicious in Jonathan’s book bag. Lastly, Lt. Mitch Anderson (guest star Ian Bohen “Teen Wolf”) finds himself under fire for the deterioration of the department of defense’s relationship with Superman.

Poor Anderson is back to being a lowly lieutenant again.

While still wearing lieutenant general rank insignia. Speaking of bizarre, it’s just bizarre that the characters in the show and the show’s publicity material refer to him as a “lieutenant”, when he’s clearly a lieutenant general.

But hang on. If Bizarro is the opposite of Superman, and in general your “shadow self” is the inverse of you, and Ally Allston’s “shadow self” is a world-conquering super-villain on Bizarro-Earth, wouldn’t that mean that Earth-1’s Ally Allston should be a good guy?