Superman and Lois Season 2

I’m not liking General Anderson, not just because he’s a dick but because he seems the sort of stock military character dick too common (IMHO) in comic book-derived media. So far he seems 2-dimensional cardboard to me.

I preferred General Lane who had the interesting problem of balancing “defending America” vs. “dealing with a superpowered alien we can’t force to do or not do anything” vs. “said alien is also my son-in-law”, It wasn’t the usual dynamic.

It was explicitly said that it was a girl (and she liked it enough for it to have left some conflicting feelings about Jordan).

Yeah, me, too. It was a little confusing last season that we ran into some folks in Smallville who had superpowers because of X-Kryptonite and some because of the Eradicator, but I guess those plotlines weren’t really connected, except by coincidence. P.S. Obviously, Jonathan’s rival is taking Krypto-steroids, right?

A cult run by Chloe Sullivan?

And a bit of a thickie. It’s just not smart to antagonize Superman. He’s a volunteer with unique or nearly unique abilities, demonstrated usefulness, and you have no holds on him (unless you’re smart enough to figure out his secret identity and dumb enough to try to threaten his family).

:laughing:

According to already-established Arrowverse canon, Clark did have a friend named Chloe who had a “wall of weird”.

I had forgotten that.

And while we’re talking about Jonathon, can we get some likes for the scene between the two brothers where they were catching each other up about their days? Felt very real, and both were genuinely happy about how the other was doing, one talking shit about the guy taking steroids, the other bragging about going toe-to-toe with Uncle Jerkface, and none of that “I’m jealous of my brother’s powers/He’s jealous of my powers” business.

Yeah, I like that the kids have a generally good relationship (with some occasional justified annoyance (you broke my hand - you got Dad and Mom to give both of us lectures).); Lois and Clark have been raising them well.

S02E03 The Thing in the Mines

GREGORY SMITH (“EVERWOOD”) DIRECTS THE EPISODE - Lois reaches out to Ret. General Lane as Clark’s visions become worse during heated arguments with both Jonathan and Jordan. Meanwhile, Lana shares her frustrations with Kyle. Lastly, Natalie learns that her father didn’t follow through on a promise he made to her.

The Thing in the Mines

…is Bizarro. I initially thought they were going for Doomsday, but all signs point to something else entirely. The face like Clark, the ratty costume, the backwards title card, even his speech is backwards, as the intarwebs have already discovered, all point to Bizarro.

Oh, yeah, they really foreshadowed the heck out of Doomsday, so making it Bizarro was a great twist.

Bit sad that Jon is opting to buy Kryto-steroids. My first thought is that he’s going to get juiced because 1) he wants to be quarterback and 2) he’s normal with a Superdad and Supertwinbrother and it’s normal to want to be their equal (although how he’s going about that is probably not a good thing). Although, on second thought, he might be channeling his mom and looking to get a sample to pass on to Clark/Lois/General Lane… but probably not. It would, though, potentially be a good plot twist.

Although, being half-Kryptonian there’s no telling how they’d affect Jon if he took them.

Ooh, maybe Jon will take a couple of pills, then quickly spit them out because he’s one of the good guys.

But…

…then…

… just touching them to his tongue was enough to unleash Jon’s superpower! Which is… hey, writers, I’m not going to do ALL your work for you. Just stay away from stupid superpowers (super-weaving, really?)

Bah, most of those “super skills” are just doing something ordinary (weaving, landscaping) at super-speed. Lazy writers!

They even used the word “bizarre.” It’s almost definitely Bizarro.

I was really not minding the teenagers on this show for the first few episodes, then yesterday they turn into epic levels of dumb.
No, you cannot tell your girlfriend that you have superpowers and your dad is superman. Your secret is not the same as hers. It is not functionally equivalent. (Also, didn’t we spend a season going through this with Kara?) And the compromise to talk about it in a year was also just stupid.

Speaking of the secret, the talk between Lana and Sarah was also dumb. She cheated on her boyfriend. It was small, she’s 15, it was a single time, etc…But Lana saying that she should be proud of herself and what she’s done. Really? Should she? Not even a little bit of shame? (Not crippling, self defining shame. No giant red "C"s on her clothing. But just a tinge feels appropriate?)

And, has been mentioned, even without powers - still half Kryptonian. No telling what steroids are going to do with your physiology. (Though SuperWeaving would be awesome - he can redesign the team’s uniforms at halftime.)

My expectation is that at some point Jon will manifest whatever powers Jordan doesn’t, with perhaps some area of overlap. Jordan has strength, durability, heat vision, and super hearing? Perhaps Jon will get flight, speed, and x-ray vision, with durability as an overlap? (Can’t have him getting a dozen broken bones every time he gets punched by a baddie.)

Yes, Jordan was being stupid. He’s a hormone-addled teenager with a dose of freak-who-wants-to-be-normal. Do you know any teenagers? They careen from surprisingly adult to childish or vice versa, often in remarkably short periods of time. It’s a teeny bit forced for the show but real teens do stupid shit, brag, and drop secrets when they shouldn’t because their executive function isn’t fully formed. If Clark didn’t do that, well, he’s not human but his kids are half human and showing it.

“Let’s revisit this in a year” is not a bad dodge for Dad to get Jordan to delay spilling the beans on powers. It’s not cutting Jordan off completely because, let’s get real, assuming Jordan does get partnered long term at some point he’s going to reveal his powers to another person. Another year to mature and learn to deal with both the advantages and restrictions of being a Kent will make for a more rational (one hopes) conversation. Is that person going to be Sarah? Not terribly likely but it is possible. If the two break up in the ensuing year then bullet dodged.

I thought the “proud of you” was due to Sarah being honest, not due to Sarah cheating. Being honest and open enough at her age to admit to an indiscretion is remarkable.

Yeah, I think Jon is Doing Something Really Dumb. Partly out of jealousy, partly out of feeling useless/powerless (which was touched upon in the episode “Holding the Wrench”), and partly because, despite his dad and his brother being superpowered, Jon still seems and probably still views himself as human. I don’t think he’s grasped that he’s half-alien the way Jordan has.

I do like the idea that Jon might get different powers, or powers in a different order, than Jordan did. I could also see a total freak-out if x-ray vision kicks in with no control over it, or if he falls up and can’t get down.

I am hoping that Jonathan is emulating his mother. He’s asking to get K-roids not because he wants to take them for himself but because he wants to (a) find out what they are and (b) find out where they’re coming from.

I’d like it to turn out Jon is playing detective, but since at this point it could go either way I’m not tied to that plot.

I’d buy one of the writers a coffeecake to get to see that!

I remember a young clueless Clark (in the Secret Identity mini-series?) sleeping out under the stars in a sleeping bag… and waking up twenty feet in the air.

An amusing bit for potential sibling rivalry is if Jon got all the “fun” powers that, by themselves, don’t really add up to “superhero”, so he could just have fun with them. Like, he can fly and has X-ray vision, but that alone can’t really do much against supervillains, or even just regular villains.

So he just does cool stuff like fly to the top of Mt Everest and such.

“Man, this sucks. He gets to take selfies hovering over Grand Canyon, and here I am, getting punched in the face by this giant robot…”

I do like that they show just having powers doesn’t make one a hero or even especially competent. Such as when Clark throws a pass for Jordan to catch and Jordan can’t get a grip on it. At which point, as Jordan is chasing after the football he can’t catch, Clark turns to Jon and quips “… and that’s why he plays defense”. Jordan has powers, but that doesn’t instantly turn him into a star quarterback. Jordan wrestles with using/coping with his new powers. Jon gets to see that, which I think moderates his potential jealousy of Jordan. Also, in the most recent episode seeing his father frying his own hands probably made Jon glad that wasn’t a problem he had to deal with personally. Being super-strong and able to fly is cool… but there’s a downside, too.

S0204 The Inverse Method

JENNA DEWAN (“SUPERGIRL”) GUEST STARS - Lois and Chrissy are on a mission to find Lois’ sister Lucy (guest star Jenna Dewan) and Jonathan and Jordan become more and more unsettled as Clark’s painful visions continue. Meanwhile, Lana, Kyle and Sarah share a family breakfast and discuss Sarah’s upcoming quinceanera. Lastly, Natalie and her father share a bonding moment.