At first, I thought I’d just create the most valuable substance in the world, 100 pounds of it, day by day, but then realize I’d quickly run into legal suspicion about “you’re not a factory, where are you getting this from?”
I’d still go with the 100 pounds of gold, then. Not only does it run no risk of my being accused of counterfeiting (the chemical element Au is just that, a chemical,) but it’s worth more than a hundred pounds of $100 bills.
It’s an interesting conundrum. I mean, it’s trivial to say gold or silver, but you need to sell it, and sell it in a way that doesn’t generate suspicion.
I can sell a few 1oz gold bars to local shops or online, but that’s going to get weird after a while. I’m not pulling down a million dollars that way without someone asking questions.
Maybe I sell random stuff on eBay, vintage toys, lego, coins, pokemon cards. Is some mobster going to go after Cheesesteak’s Fine Collectables?
Of course, you don’t NEED a million dollars to have much of the nice stuff that a millionaire has, you can just have it. Tricky things are services, real estate, travel, taxes, etc. all have to be paid in cash.
According to AI, about 10k pounds of gem quality diamonds are sold each year. That’s 100 days of effort to double the world’s production.
One hundred pounds of authentic ~1880 Gold Double eagles (90%) gold, and the next day some period, aged tins. Bury them in my backyard, and wait a few months. Dig up “accidently” and pay without qualms any and all taxes and fees on them. Figure even with 1/3 gone to taxes (just a rough estimate) that’s $3mil or so.
I’m reasonably sure I can pay off my remaining debts, and live comfortably after investing the rest. Especially if I combine it with an old option mentioned in another thread - get into gold panning, something my father in law has done (for fun) for years. Take his equipment out, distribute another few pounds of gold (from a 100lb batch of appropriate gold sand, flakes, and micro nuggets) over the course of the next 10-15 years if I need more cash.
Otherwise, yeah, a lot of consumables, good steaks, seafood, duck breasts entirely for my own consumption, and then maybe find a way to do some good with the help of my brother the doctor… 100lbs of some medications might find their way to doing some good spread out enough to be less noticeable.
Or if created at a distance, 100lbs a day of Ebola antivirals and the like might just be accepted without too many questions in certain nations right now.
Last but not least, buy a series of the most dependable alarms available to remind me to create my 100lb of neutral air every day to keep me from accidentally killing myself!
Once you get a few days worth of gold, you might just request a hundred pounds of water just to get something. Just pour it outside somewhere so it flows into the ecosystem.
Maybe not. A 100 lbs of fresh water and decent food will go farther when there is none left to buy with the gold. Of course you will need hundreds of pounds of guns an ammo every so often to keep people away from your ice cream and steaks.
How does the genie work with unique one-of-a-kind items? Let’s say I ask for 100 pounds of boxes of 2024 Topps Chrome Update, which is the series that Paul Skenes’ 1-of-1 rookie debut patch card was released. The card has been found, but each box contains a certain number of serial numbered cards. Let’s say I find an Aaron Judge gold parallel, which is numbered out of 25. What number is on it? Do I have a chance of finding a duplicate Paul Skenes debut patch card?
After securing enough all the funds I may need on day 1, I probably spend the rest of my days adding 100 lbs of beach sand to combat erosion on my favorite vacation spots.
Well put. As one notable put it, “You’d better have the capacity to defend yourself, otherwise you are just gathering supplies for someone stronger than you.”
Most likely the genie is providing identical items, down to the serial number and that’s going to be a problem even if you’re just requesting a hundred pounds of paper money.
You’re going to have the same problem if you request a hundred pounds of paper currency
The list only contained 1.237 grams of anti-matter.
Of course, even if it’s only just over a gram, without some type of containment field along with the anti-matter, it (and you) wouldn’t last long anyway. That’s basically stronger than a Hiroshima bomb popping into existence in your vicinity.
Also, I don’t see the 45kg of Californium being a good idea, either. There’s only 2 sites worldwide that produce the stuff, of which Oak Ridge is both the primary producer and the only such site in the US (the other is in Russia). Worse, we have yet to produce a single kilogram of the stuff, limited to only a gram or two of production worldwide per year.
Show up with any quantity of the stuff, much less tens of kilograms, and I suspect very pointed questions will come up from the sort of people backed by lots and lots of guns and courts and black sites. Ignoring, of course, that the value is theoretical anyway - if a government lab is the only source, the “market price” is a purely theoretical quantity.
I love how a genie giving away 100 lbs of shit daily is a plausible hypothetical but things like antimatter and rare radioactive elements are impractical.