Switch the side of your mouse pad, improve brain function...

From here.

I was forced to change my mouse hand due to furniture constrictions for a while, and I adapted fairly well. I’m one of those people that is awful with their non-dominant hand to boot.

So, what’s the SD on whether or not using ones mouse with the non-dominant hand, for an extended period, can improve brain function?

That’s not the function I think most people are trying to improve when they use their non-dominant hand for the mouse, but YMMV.

I switched to my left hand a few years ago due to RSI. Despite being very strongly right-handed I made the change very easily, by the second day I was perfectly OK with it. I don’t notice any change in brain function, aside from general decrepitude.

There’s an interesting reason why almost everyone should mouse on the left; notice that your keyboard sticks out to the right more than the left due to the numeric keypad? That means a mouse on the right is further away from the centreline and you have to rotate your arm outwards to mouse there comfortably. Putting the mouse on the left places it closer to the centreline and puts less strain on your shoulder and wrist.

Well, unless you just have the keyboard centered in front of you…

In which case the centreline of the keyboard is now off to the left of where it’s supposed to be, and you’re now typing in an incorrect and unnatural position.

It doesn’t work so well when you have a so-called “ergonomic” mouse.

I’m not sure about the “improve brain function” bit.

Mum, a leftie, was forced to write with her right hand at school in the 1950s and found it dreadfully stressful, without making it easier for her to fit in and write with her right.

I can’t imagine it makes much difference in brain function.

But I do know that mousing left can improve your productivity a bunch if you routinely use the numeric pad. Right hand does the keying, left hand navigates between cells. Works good. That’s how I started left-mousing 25 years ago (wow!) and have been doing so ever since. Despite being very right-handed.

It’s a PITA now that there are so many “ergonomic” or high performance mice out there which are not available in a left-handed version. The few left-handed fancy-mice I’ve found are weird things costing a relative fortune and apparently are meant for the unfortunate folks with major motor impairments or no right hand.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. FWIW, I’m very adept at left hand mousing.

Do all of you left hand mousers have the functions of the buttons reversed too, so that it’s still your pointer finger doing the primary clicking? Do any of you just keep the mouse setup the same (left mouse button is primary) but switch it to the left side of your keyboard?

E3

I’m left handed and have used the mouse both ways. I generally keep it on the right, mainly because I don’t have any real reason to move it. When I kept it on the left (for reasons of space), I did switch the buttons over to leftie mode. It always confused the heck out of IT people when they came to work on my machine (another reason I usually keep it on the right.)

I don’t feel any smarter either way.

I too had to switch to left-hand mousing a few years back due to RSI issues, and it took me just a week or so to get the hang of it. I retain the standard mouse button arrangement since other people use the mouse. And typing isn’t a problem because I just wheel the chair six inches to the right for extended typing sessions. And I have mastered slightly-sideways typing for things like this short post.

Dunno whether I’m smarter, but it sure is easier to eat and read the boards at the same time this way. Fork in right hand, mouse in left hand, plate on lap, go baby go! :smiley: