Talk about your emotional roller coaster!

Shamelessly asking all of you for good thoughts and/or prayers for Razorette. Although she’s not a member, she’s largely responsible for me being as marginally useful to society as I am, and she is dealing with some serious emotional issues this holiday weekend.

We got a telephone call from our oldest son Friday evening just before supper informing us that we are going to be grandparents. My wife was ecstatic. She cried and laughed and started calling friends and family. We shared the news with my father, who promptly poured himself a scotch and toasted the scion-to-be. We then met her parents, maiden aunt and younger sister for supper at a local restaurant,where we shared the news with them and celebrated. Just as we were getting ready to leave, my father-in-law cried out in pain, grasped his chest and collapsed. A half-hour later he was pronounced dead at the local hospital. He was 90 years old.

Needlest to say, we are experiencing mixed emotions around our house.

Good lord! My very best wishes to your wife and all of your – and her – family.

Wow, that was a shocking end to your story! I gasped out loud.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Razorette.

And also my congratulations.

Please take care of yourselves and each other.

Oh, my goodness! Sympathy and congratulations both.

In time, I suspect it will be some consolation that his last experience on this earth was one of family and fun and food and wonderful news after a long lifetime. There are certainly worse ways to go. Doesn’t mean everyone won’t miss him terribly, of course.

I’m sure Razorette’s father was so so glad he heard about the new grandchild before his unexpected death.

Both congratulations :smiley: and condolences :frowning: to your whole family.

Goodness, they say truth is stranger than fiction. My condolences on your loss. Best wishes to you all.

Wow, I’m so happy and sad for you.

And also, what WhyNot said - better to go quickly after a good meal and good news than to linger in ICU for a couple of weeks.

Hugs to Sunrazor, Razorette, RazorBoy, and RazorGlint.

I agree with WhyNot. I’m sorry your FIL had to go, but if he lived to 90 and died of happiness, well, there are worse ways to go.

I’m so sorry for your loss. But congratulations on the baby!

A very good way to look at it. I am sorry for your loss, though. :frowning:

Thanks to everyone. I printed out your messages and showed them to Razorette – she was touched, as am I. Thanks again.

It’s now 24+ hours since the events described in the OP and things are starting to settle in. The family’s sharp, slashing pain at watching their patriarch die on the floor of a restaurant has settled into the dull ache that always comes as the clan gathers to grieve. Interestingly, everyone has latched on to the happier news, and today we learned that both of our sons and their wives will be home for the funeral. My mother-in-law commented that “the new life Molly carries will comfort us all.” For the first time in over 20 years my MIL will have every single grandchild (there are 12) gathered around her. The young people will do much to alleviate the grief, I’m sure.

You both have my condolences, and congratulations.