[QUOTE=ralph124c]
I flip over to the SCIFI channel now and then-and frequently, the “TAPS” guys are on. They travel to remote places, checking out houses, abandoned hospitals, etc. for “psychic activity”. They set up video cameras, EMF detectors, etc.-but they never seem to get anything! Or have i missed an episode?
Anybody know iof these guys plan to give up soon?
[/QUOTE]
I dunno. How are the ratings going?
[QUOTE=Oslo Ostragoth]
And, by the way, in anticipation of the next barrage of criticism: it looks to me that they have well over 6 figures invested in their equipment. Personally, I wouldn’t spend that kind of money so I could go out and pull pranks on people while risking being exposed as a fraud.
[/QUOTE]
Pffft. I’d spent *millions * on equipment if it would result in a tv show that would bring me millions plus a margin. Of course, it is possible that I might get caught red handed faking a “chair moving sideways” shot, but these things tend to be deniable, and anyway TV production companies spend millions on plenty of shows that tank: there’s always risk.
[QUOTE=Miss Purl McKnittington]
In this case, I think it’s because people want to talk about the TV show, not whether or not ghosts actually exist. It would be possible to discuss the show civilly, without descending to an intelligentsia wank over the existence of ghosts. This argument has happened over and over again, and as far as I know, neither side has ever changed their minds.
Basically, what Zebra said (Oslo too, on preview). Popping into a thread about a certain TV show with “Of course they aren’t going to find anything, because there is no such thing as a ghost.” without offering anything more substantive to the discussion is akin to going to a thread about Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and saying, “There’s no such thing as a vampire, guys. Why do you waste your time?” Let me engage in some flights of fancy while I fold my socks and underwear, and then maybe talk about it on the internet.
[/QUOTE]
So when the OP said “do they find anything” he was meaning: “does this show feature, as part of the plotline, the apparent finding of evidence of ghosts” was he? Sure, he was.
You’re trying to have it both ways here. You suggest that attacking the veracity of the events purportedly depicted in the show is like attacking the veracity of events in obvious fiction like Buffy, and that this is inappropriate, but at the same time footnoting to say that you appreciate that Buffy is nothing like the show in question because it pretends not to be fiction. You’ve effectively destroyed your own argument.
People watch this show precisely because it purports to be real. Hands up anyone who would actually watch, if the show openly admitted the whole thing was scripted and nothing they showed was real?
[QUOTE=Sequent]
Also, I’ve seen them do several places where the owners mention chairs moving and doors closing on their own, and so they set up cameras pointing at chairs and doors. And the show being what it is, nothing ever happens. All night passes and the chair never moves once. So to see an example of it actually happen for the camera was pretty impressive. The fact that it would be so mundane to fake almost lends credence to it in a way. We know SciFi can do better special fx than that
[/QUOTE]
… and all the best scary movies heighten suspense by not having the monster jump out from behind *every * tree, and all the best liars tell the truth most of the time, and the Big Lie strategy is highly effective.