Tasty things I have made lately

I need to make stock soon so I can make more (ersatz) demi!

Also - Mahna Mahna you’ve made my mouth water. I think I’ll be making empanadas this weekend now.

This one was a huge favorite recently. Having a Mexican supermarket nearby is very handy, as you can pick up both ready-made carnitas and some poblano chiles at the same time.

Carnitas and potato-stuffed chiles

Blacken on the stovetop four poblano chiles, and peel and de-seed them, leaving them whole.

Prepare a stuffing: Peel and finely cube a russet potato and a big carrot and start them frying in a big skillet. Add some chopped onion when they’re half done and continue frying until everything is tender and slightly browned. Pull apart about 2/3 pound of carnitas into shreds and stir it into the skillet mixture. Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce and chicken broth to moisten it, and season it with salt and pepper.

Stuff the chiles with this mixture, moisten them with some more tomato sauce and chicken broth, and bake them at 375 until they are heated through, basting them once or twice to keep them moist.

I did a very nice simple mushroom pasta last week. Saute a couple of pounds of sliced mushrooms in a quarter cup of butter, Boil a bunch of fusili. When the mushrooms are brown and buttery, add a minced clove of garlic and a quarter cup heavy cream, salt and pepper. Let it bubble for five minutes, drain the pasta, and toss with the sauce.
Very tasty. Not low-fat.

That’s pretty much a staple in our house for the oh-crap-we-need-dinner-now nights. We usually add some frozen peas and/or shredded smoked pork shoulder if we happen to have some lying around, too.

Mooch - enjoy! As a bonus, your whole house will smell ridiculously good while the roast is braising. Screw air freshener, that’s my kind of aromatherapy. :slight_smile:

Last night I made Black Bean Burrito Bake for the first time. I wasn’t expecting much special, just something quick and tasty, but it was pretty awesome. I’m not a chipotle addict by any means, but I think just that tiny bit of it added a ton of flavor. I ran out of salsa (I made Spanish rice as a side dish and used most of my salsa in that) so I only had about 1/2 cup instead of 1 cup, but it was still pretty amazing.

Barbeque chicken pizza isn’t something I normally order, but I tried the recipe from Crazy Plates this weekend and was blown away. Essentially, you top the pizza crust with a 2:1 mixture of pizza sauce and BBQ sauce, topped with sauteed sliced red onions and mushrooms (and dried oregano), topped with 2 sliced BBQ chicken breasts, topped with colby-jack cheese, topped with chopped parsley. OMG, so good. It would probably be even better topped with cilantro. (I’m also growing oregano and should have used the fresh stuff instead of the dried, but I was running short on time.)

Last week or the week before I made Jamaican Rice and Beans. That was another unexpected winner. I think the coconut milk and the brown rice are what really makes it.

Nikki Tikki Tavi - my mom’s recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins is one of my favorite things in the entire world. Thanks for reminding me! I guess they’re finally in season.

Spill, please.

I’ll post it when I get home :slight_smile:

When we’re really, really lazy, we mix ajvar, heavy cream, and a clove of minced garlic, and use that as pasta sauce. It’s tasty and about as hard as pb+j.

(Can I post this? I haven’t made it yet) I think I’ll do a chocolate cake with ganache and filled with more ganache and maybe sour cherries today. Using Laurie Colwin’s instant chocolate cake recipe. We haven’t had cake in a week.

That or chocolate gingerbread. Votes?

It’s nothing outrageous, but it’s an easy recipe that always turns out well and the fillings can be altered to your liking. Good autumn food :slight_smile:

2 pie crusts (I buy frozen premade)
1/3 c chopped onion
1/3 c margarine + extra
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c veg broth
2/3 c unsweetened soy milk
2 c mixed veggies (I buy a bag of mixed frozen veggies, but use whatever you like)

Preheat to 425F. Melt margarine, add onion and cook until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in broth and milk. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly so lumps don’t form. Add veggies and spoon into pie crust, top with other pie crust. Flute pie crusts and cut slits in the top to vent. Melt extra margarine and brush it on the edges of the crusts. Bake for 30-40 min or until golden brown.

So easy when you use the premade crusts and frozen veg!

Just this morning I fried some mushrooms and onions in oil and then melted some cheese in. Next I scrambled some eggs into the mess and made a wonderful breakfast. (Some bacon bits might have added, but I wasn’t sure. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try them)

I served Volcanos for dinner tonight. They were a hit.

(The recipe didn’t call them Volcanos, the recipe called them Lasagna Roll-ups. And the recipe was a low-cheese, high spinach version, and the most volcanic ones were made with cheese but no spinach. Tasty none the less).

I’m flattered that you’re interested. I’ll do my best. I typed this up the next day and sent it to a friend who ate it with me. I tried to cull it from what I sent her into something a little more coherent, but I didn’t succeed at making it short. I guess it makes up for the extra short length of the blueberry recipe above.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs. Much but not all of the visible fat trimmed and cut into smallish sizes (one to three bite chicken, maybe?)
Flour
Lemon Pepper
Salt
Vodka (I have no idea how much)
16oz lemon juice
2-3 Tbsp lemon curd
3-5 Tbsp sugar (to taste, basically – I used a large flatware spoon for measuring, so I’m not sure of these measurements)
Salt to taste
Olive oil
Broccoli
Spinach

Mix the flour, lemon pepper and salt to taste (be inclined to have a heavy hand, though). Dredge chicken in this mixture and sauté in olive oil.

While you’re sauting the chicken, heat a large pot of water for pasta. Once boiling, make pasta.

Drain the chicken on paper towels as it comes off the heat (though if you’re better at saute than I am, you shouldn’t have to do this). Once it’s all done, move the chicken to a warming oven.

Deglaze chicken pan in vodka as needed. Once it’s reduced by half and most of the frond is suspended/dissolved in the vodka, add the lemon juice and reduce by a quarter to a third. Once reduced, mix in the lemon curd until it’s melted and combined with the sauce (this takes a bit). Add sugar & salt to taste, but leave it pretty tart. Finish the sauce with olive oil, and then keep warm in oven if pasta isn’t done.

Once the pasta is done, stick it in a bowl and coat with the sauce (I have no idea if it’s important to not use a metal bowl, but I suspect so – I can’t tell you why, though). Cover and/or place in the oven to keep warm (because I am terrible at making things get done at the same time).

Steam the broccoli (I do it over the pasta water when the pasta is done) and wilt a big bunch of spinach in the chicken/sauce/everything pan in some olive oil (if needed – I think I used too much when I made this). When the spinach is about half wilted, mix it in with the pasta, and that should finish wilting it. Hopefully the broccoli is done at the same time or nearly so, and mix it in as well.

Serve with the chicken, or chop up the chicken and serve it in the pasta.

As far as I can tell, this recipe really needs an element of bitter flavor to finish it off, and I can’t figure out how to add it. The spinach was a last minute addition as I was pondering “bitter” on the way to and in the store, and realized it might work. It was, by far, the best piece of this meal once mixed in with the lemony sauce, so I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on in terms of the “something else is needed” department. I also imagine most people will not be as dependent on the oven to keep stuff warm. I’m really not a good cook, especially not with this sort of random amounts of stuff cooking. I did it this time, but who knows if these measurements are even close to right? Oh, and this doesn’t make a sauce, exactly, as all the sauce I made kind of got absorbed into the pasta and chicken and spinach and broccoli. But it certainly makes the pasta not stick and everything taste delicious.

And for the full experience, eat chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert.

Bump! Just wanted to say I made these last night. Pretty good! But, I only ate one. A tad soft. I probably didn’t bake them long enough, even though I baked them longer than the recipe says.

I left them out overnight and re-baked them just now. Yum! They lost enough moisture and developed a nice crunchy brown on top, fluffy middle, and crunchy lower skin.

This one’s going in the recipe file. I’ve having them with sour cream and chopped green onion at the moment.

mango chicken stir fry. Soooo good.

tdc actually doesn’t bake them, but puts them under the broiler so they get quite nice and crispy. YMMV.

I like that I got mentioned twice early on in this thread, yet am not really known for my mad cooking skills. :smiley:

Sauteed trout rolled in oats. Scottish goodness.

I had some shrimp and scollops left so I made the following dish (modification of a dish called Key West penne pasta)

1/2 lb shrimp
1/2 lb scallops
Clove minced garlic
8 oz artichoke hearts
6 oz sun dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp capers
1 cup white wine
1 cup half and /half
1/4 cup butter
tbs oilve oil
handful parmasan cheese
Hot cooked penne pasta noodles

Add garlic, artichokes, tomatoes and capers to olive oil heat through. Add wine and reduce by half. Reduce heat, add butter and half an half shrimp and scallops until cooked through. Add cheese, and serve over pasta.

Fantastic!

Most recently I made CL’s Smoky-Spicy Tamale Pies. I used 4 7-ounce ramekins instead of two (who has 1 1/2 cup ramekins?), and black beans instead of kidney. They came out pretty good - I am having the last one for dinner tonight, with a side of spinach salad w/grape tomatoes, avocado, sweet red pepper strips, and my basic salad dressing - equal amounts of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard, a few grinds of black pepper, all shaken together.

This past Sunday I made Judy’s Wholesome Chocolate Chip Cookies. I doubled the recipe, used olive oil, and dark chocolate chip/macadamia mix. They came out nice in terms of color and shape, but the olive oil overwhelmed the flavor for me (although other people loved them!). I would repeat, but only use 1/2 olive, and 1/2 a more neutral oil. I like the concept of the olive oil adding a different flavor to the cookie.

Susan