Tatu..

Are the girls in Tatu really lesbians?

Last I heard, THEY say they are, and are in love with each other, but most people suspect they are paid to be a couple as part of their recording contract. Now, whether they would actually be lesbians had they never met/gotten a record deal, who knows, that’s probably something we’ll never know, cause I’m sure by now they’ve been together long enough so that it’s normal to them, and if/when they break up (as both a abnd and a couple) they will probably still stick to women.
But then again, I could be wrong. My theory is that it’s a marketing ploy.

Thanks to reading FARK I know way too much about them despite only hearing two of their songs.

They were manufactured lesbians to try and get controversy out of the publicity, which worked. In their private lives they both had boyfriends and I think I read that one of them is getting married now that TATU’s commercial life has ended.

Questions about the ARTS belong in Cafe Society.

Moved from GQ by

samclem

Well, Julia gave birth to a daughter in September, and the fact that the baby’s father was at the hospital for the birth suggests he impregnated Julia the old-fashioned way. This article claims that “[t]he two girls (Julia and Lena) started liking one and the same boys - the lesbian love was just a promotional trick.” Of course, the latter story is from pravda.ru, which occasionally features material of dubious provenance…

They are not lesbians. Nor are they Russians. Or teenagers. Or girls. Heck, they’re not even really a duet.

The fact is, both of them are played by Mort Sheinmen, a fifty year old upholstry salesman from Cinncinati.

This is basically the same thing I read in an interview in the Prague Post (in 2002) with the guy behing the manufactured duo. The manager admits to having an affair with one of the girls and is pretty clear that the whole underage lesbian thing is a gimmick. Gotta love those Russians…

I can’t believe someone started a Tatu Thread in November 2004!

A year and a half ago I wrote a Tatu joke into my Stand-Up Comedy routine. I used it for about three months. After about three months people no longer got the joke because they had forgotten who Tatu were. Seiously: big laughs in Apirl 2003, No laughs in July 2003. People just forgot all about them.

I was really disapointed because I thought it was a great joke and now I can’t get any use out of it!

Normally I wouldn’t post material on the Board since it would suddenly property of the Reader, but since I can’t really use the joke anymore I’ll share:

(When you speak the Joke you can use “Tatu” and “Tattoo” interchangably, it loses something when you write it down!)

Is early in the morning, Herve is “da palne” “da Plane” guy from Fantasy Island?

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence!

The creation of faux pop bands is a form of commercial art.

Enron’s accounting techniques were certainly creative. Does that mean this is the appropriate forum for discussion of Mr. Lay and friends as well? :smiley:

Actually, what’s more irksome (to me anyway, who never liked the way they exploited the faux lesbianisn thing) is that they had a press release in September 2004 to officially “drop the ‘lesbian’ act”.

It was a short press release, that generally said:

I just love the part where they “complained” to The Sun (paraphrased): “We were exploited. They made us look like sexy, lesbian school girls. Enough of that – now we’re going for a sassy, sexier look!” :rolleyes:

From a longer version of the release:

They claimed the whole “lesbian” scenario was created by their former manager, Ivan Shapovalov, they fired a while back (February?).