tech question re: getting wi-fi to a non-wi-fi computer

I want to put a computer that does NOT have wi-fi in a spot where it would be difficult to run an ethernet cable. I know I could get a wi-fi card and install it, but I’m interested in other solutions.

Is there such a thing as a gizmo that can receive a wi-fi signal and then pass it on through an ethernet cable to a computer? You know, sort of the wi-fi equivalent of a satellite dish?

Yes, you can do this with a Linksys Router and the open-source firmware dd-wrt.

Note that this is called a WiFi to Ethernet Bridge, if you want to search for a commercial solution.

There is always USB wifi, which is a wifi card on a small USB stick. I have one for my daughter’s computer and it works well.

>Is there such a thing as a gizmo that can receive a wi-fi signal and then pass it on through an ethernet cable to a computer? You know, sort of the wi-fi equivalent of a satellite dish?

You can get a wireless access point and put in client bridge mode to do this, which would run you around 50-80 dollars and the hassle of setting it up. Or you can simply buy a usb or pci wifi adapter for less than half that.

An easier solution may be Ethernet over the mains.
There is a supply adaptor that plugs into the mains next to your router, to which you attach a LAN cable. the other adaptor plugs into the mains next to the PC. You attach a LAN cable to that, job done.

This is definitely the easiest to set up, plus it doesn’t even require any kind of cables. I’ve got one of those sticks as well, for my desktop.

I’ve found the USB WiFi to be a bit troublesome. OK for a laptop, but not great for desktops. I prefer to use an actual add-in card. D-Link makes one, as do many other vendors.

Works good for me too.

I have a very similar question but Ethernet is the only option I have. I have a network-enabled Blu-Ray player that has Ethernet but not WiFi.

I have Verizon FiOS, and there is co-ax in the room but no Ethernet. So an option I might have that would not be available to the OP is to put some device on the co-ax, but I’m not sure what the options are there. I could get another router from Verizon but I’m guessing there is a cheaper/easier way to go. I doubt that conventional cable modems would work, but I don’t know.

If I tap directly into the co-ax instead of a WiFi-to-cable type converter as mentioned, I still need to be on the same network, not sure if that’s possible if I’m not talking to the existing router somehow.

A inksys WET54g will do exactly what you discribe. Other manufacturers make similar things, google “ethernet-wireless bridge” or “wireless gaming adapter”