What they said. And this:
There’s a perfect example of that in this thread. Yes, another thing I remember from a long time ago. But I think it persists because it is such a perfect microcosm of what SDMB was at that time.
OP: “I’m single, unattached, no roommate, new in town so I don’t know anyone, no party or gift exchange at work, and now my mom tells me that she and dad are only getting Christmas gifts for my niece and nephews, nothing for my brother and me. I wouldn’t mind, except there goes my chance to get even a holiday candle or a fruitcake to mark the occasion. Am I right to feel bummed out?”
Other posters: “Yeah, that sucks. Maybe you could drop just a hint to your parents that one token gift would be nice, under the circumstances? Meanwhile, hoping to make you feel less bad, here are some anecdotes about the times our families disregarded us.”
But then some people started coming in with, “Goodness, I haven’t gotten a Christmas or other gift from my parents in years, and I couldn’t care less! Wanna know why? Because besides having children of my own, I have a long-term relationship, many friends who live nearby, a house, and plenty of disposable income. So if it doesn’t bother me, I can’t see any reason why it should bother someone who has none of those things!”
Some of them seemed to take for granted that the OP was having this big tantrum and lashing out at her family. She wasn’t; she was trying to manage her emotions so as to avoid making anyone else uncomfortable. And one of them declared, “Fifty dollars buys next to nothing!” He stated it as a fact; IMO, that’s an opinion, and subjective as all hell. But he wouldn’t back down: a ten-dollar gift wasn’t worth having, so OP’s parents would have to spend $50 or more on her, which would be money they wouldn’t have to spend on the grandkids, so OP was immature and materialistic for allegedly wanting them to do that. “And an adult should be mature enough to be happy when a child opens a gift. A child won’t be made happy by watching an adult open a gift.” I’d call that subjective; nobody in my family got that memo. “Oh, and I know the OP is immature because she called herself potentially a bitch, and curse words make it a rant.”
So yeah, that was a doozy of a thread. (And I think the real reason it lives rent-free in my head is because I regret not having opened a Pit thread, so I could have freely told certain posters to shove a Christmas tree up their ass.)
Left_Hand, you sound all right!
Yep, for my mom, if the slightest thing went wrong, or not according to plan, it was The End. Of the Fucking. World. And since she was bad at planning, that happened a lot. I was well into my twenties before I really learned how to approach a problem in a constructive way.