Tell me about Plain White T's

I recently heard the “Hey There Delilah” and really like it. Anyone know them? Anything else by them worth giving a listen?

They are decent. The funny thing is that song is decently old and for some reasons the radios have just picked it up.

Heheh, neither of my kids really loves that song, but it’s very easy to get it stuck in their head, so sometimes I’ll start to hum or sing a little just to get it stuck in their heads. Mwahahahaa!

I don’t really like the song but if you do, you can check out three of their other songs on their myspace page.

It seems like the kind of song where nothing else on the album is anything like it. And a quick listen to their myspace seems like that is the case… they’re a pretty standard rock band.

I am sick as heck of that song. I liked it a year or so ago for a day or two and then all the sudden it’s on teh radio ALL the time around here.

The funny thing is that they have released an album since that album came out and you never hear anything from that on the radio.

It’s very easy to play on guitar though so the hoochies luv it.

BTW these guys are just like Sugar Ray in the sense of they release a ballad style song that sounds NOTHING like ANYTHING else they have done. I remember when that one big SR song came out and my buddy bought the CD and the rest of it sounded like a totally different band.

I’m also sick of the song. I did not know it before it came out on the radios but now it is played over and over. I think each time I’m in my car I hear that song. But I do think it is a good song - just highly overplayed.

<hijack>
Buy/Listen to some of sugar rays really early stuff, they were a hardcore band iirc.
</hijack>

You know what PWT song is miles better than that one? “Hate (I Really Don’t Like You).” Actually, “All That We Needed” is better too.

Sugar Ray totally sold out. I was pissed after “Fly” came out because they completely changed their sound to match that - the earlier singles, even from the same album, were so much better.

I just want to shitpile on that one song. I thought it was good for about half the length of the first time I heard it. Then it got boring for the rest of that listen. Then I noticed the lyrics. Holy anthrax-bloated dead cow are they bad writing:

We’ll have it good
We’ll have the life we knew we would
My word is good

Really? Good again in three lines? Can’t do better than that?
I’d write it all
Even more in love with me you’d fall
We’d have it all

Take two on being too lazy to break out the Thesaurus on a common rhyme. And awkward grammar in the second line.
Our friends would all make fun of us
and we’ll just laugh along because we know
That none of them have felt this way

Yes, you’re special and unique little butterflies who are the first ones to ever know love. Or a teenaged crush. You’re right to be made fun of.
Delilah I can promise you
That by the time we get through
The world will never ever be the same
And you’re to blame

First three lines: I imagine something along these lines being said by Bonnie and Clyde. Or the Heaven’s Gate Cult. Or Goldfinger. Or Snidely Whiplash.
Last line: Kind of insulting. To ‘blame’? You don’t want the world to ‘never ever be the same’ with your love in it? Again, invest in a Thesaurus, and stop trying to force rhymes.
ETA: The utter conviction when the last line is sung makes me laugh every time. “And you’re to BLAYYYYYYYMME”
And I’ll be making history like I do
And I’ll do something wonderful in the future like I do it now? Ego or delusion. Or both.
It’s just bad writing. Trite sentimentality told through poorly forced rhymes. The music is at once a catchy earworm and coma-inducing.

You might prefer the profane version.

I don’t think you understand my point. I know they are all hardcore and whatnot, but they released the only song they ever made (up to that point) that sounded all poppyballad.

The video for Delilah entertained me because the song is about a girl in New York City, and the video shows a girl walking around a city…except that in some angles, it’s obviously been shot in Chicago (near the Michigan Avenue bridge, outside my office building). I’m sure they assume most people aren’t going to recognize certain buildings, but if you live here it’s rather blatant.

Your post reminds me of that one Simpsons episode where Homer is writing poetry or lyrics or something and Lisa has to tell him, “Dad, you can’t rhyme Homer with Homer!”

Nicely put, Only Mostly Dead. I come close to starting a pit thread every time I hear that piece of dreck, but I’ll refrain from further spitting on this thread by expounding on the breadth and width of my hatred of it. I do like the song “Hate”, though, and actually had no idea it was done by the same band.

Are we talking about the same Mark McGrath who, after the success of “Fly”, put out three more CDs just like it, tore up Rock n Roll Jeopardy on VH1 (several times) and now co-hosts Extra?

That Mark McGrath?

Something tells me he wanted to write lovable pop-rock all his life, “Fly” was just his first real chance to make it big with that style.

About all I know about PWTs is that one of the members is the nephew of one of my best golfing buddies, and I used to be on a softball team (16", of course!) with the same guy’s dad.

That and they seem to be to official band of the show Greek.

Oh yeah, and that apostrophe really bugs me.

So, is that a close enough relation to make this old fossil hip? :cool:

Just going by the name, I thought they were a hip-hop group. I was pretty surprised when I actually heard that song.

A candidate for worst song of the year.