Tell Me About Pumpkin Seeds

After being mentioned on a TV programme about healthy eating there has been a run on pumpkin seeds here in the UK , with many shops sold out. I have tried them and there are OK to eat. I have eaten them both on their own and mixed with breakfast cereal. What other ways can you eat them and are they as good as the experts claim as regards the health claims? Or is it just some dastardly plot by the pumpkin growers to shift an unwanted by-product?

Roast pumpkin seeds sprinkled with a bit of salt taste even better then a packet of peanuts. I can’t tell you how good they are for you but they are well worth eating for the taste.

Thats the main thing isn’t it?

You can eat them in the same manner that you eat sunflower seeds. They are occasionally available in grocery stores here, usually around Halowe’en.

They’re yummy.

Our family tradition here is to carve pumpkins on Halloween, then roast the seeds in the oven with some olive oil and salt. Then I take any uneaten ones to work and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat them. They are addictive. The pre-packaged ones are fair, at best. The only way they are guaranteed delicious is to cook fresh ones yourself and eat them within 48 hours.

I bought some sunflower seeds as well and they are just as good. I have not looked in ordinary grocery stores or supermarkets but health-food shops seem to be the main source of them over here . Most of them have zero at the moment due to that TV programme.

Sorry about the missing word . I meant to say “zero stock”

And certain brands are too damn salty.

The ones I have seen are just the seeds and no added ingredients.

For me, salted pumpkin seeds in-shell are traditional road food.

You can crack the shell open between your teeth, work the seed out with your tongue, and spit the seed out, like sunflowers, and when doing so you ditch most of the salt. They’re messy, but I like how they give me something oral to do, which I find lessens the boredom. So it’s worth the mess.

How in the hell do you get them to last that long? :eek:
Oh dear God I love pumpkin seeds!

Pumpkin seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are Really Good for you.

They’re great, you can make them yourself. Just core the pumpkin, clean the seeds well, spread them on a baking sheet, salt to taste and bake them in the oven.

You can probably use other types of seasoning than salt too.

I adore them, but they give me the hiccups, I have no idea why :smiley:

Hmmm, maybe it’s because I eat them shell and all!? I had no idea that other people only ate the inner seed. I’ve been eating the whole thing since I was a kid! :smiley: They always tasted just fine to me.

The clinical term for this is pumpkin-ectomy. at least at my house.

Pumpkin brains…mmmmmmmmm.

They are a common ingredient in several Mexican dishes, used most commonly as flavouring and thickeners in moles. I think they use a green variety and are called pepitas en espanol. I don’t believe they come from the same variety of orange pumpkin that is common to the U.S.

http://gourmetsleuth.com/pepitas.htm
http://gourmetsleuth.com/search.asp?search=pepita+recipe&SrchType=ALL
http://www.eeecooks.com/recipes/2003/11/05/mole.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=recipes+pumpkin+seeds+pepitas&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

Here in California, the Mexican markets sell raw, green pumpkin seeds. They’re called pepitas.

Many mexican dishes make use of them. For example, pollo en mole verde de pepitas (chicken in green pumpkin seed sauce.)

Sometimes the seeds are sold ground up, called pepitoria.

If you don’t have any Mexican food joints there, you could try a health store.

[QUOTE=CanvasShoes]
Hmmm, maybe it’s because I eat them shell and all!? I had no idea that other people only ate the inner seed. I’ve been eating the whole thing since I was a kid!

[QUOTE]
I was just about to chime in about how fiberous they are. I’ve never known anyone to spit out the husks. Hmmm. I guess I’ll have to try it.