Tell me about Turkish apricots

Okay, so you have your normal dried apricots and your Turkish apricots. Both are pretty good. But what makes Turkish apricots different? Is it just that they’re left whole when they’re dried? Is it a different variety? Are they handled differently? Is there such a thing as, say, Turkish apricots from California?

IANAAF* but Turkish apricots are called Turkish apricots because they are from apricots grown in Turkey, which is the largest apricot-producing country in the world. Turkish apricots are, AFAICT, valued for their (supposedly, natch) superior quality, so it goes without saying that any product made from Turkish apricots would want to proudly announce it as such. Like Idaho potatoes, Kobe beef, and, ummm, Florida oranges. The “Turkish” in the name just (proudly) tells you where it is from, namely, Turkey.

*I Am Not An Apricot Farmer

All I know is, I’d be a lot happier with them if they hadn’t been responsible for the Aremnian apriocot herbicide.

As seodoa said. Turkish apricots are those imported from Turkey and are of several different varieties - but I think they’re considered cheaper, not better.

The king of apricots is the Royal Blenheim. You can find them in farmer’s markets in the Bay Area at the right time of year. Not to be missed.