Tell me about your bad dates

This isn’t even on the SCALE of some of the dates in this thread (I mean, honestly, what were those people THINKING?), but I met a girl on a bulletin board (back before the internet), and we went out, saw a movie, nothing special, no real sparks. Anyhow, as I’m driving her back, she mentions that she has a fiance, and he’s currently in jail… for murder.

Ummm, yeah.

So either the story is true, which makes it a Very Bad Date, or she would make up a story like that just to make sure I never asked her out again, which is still a pretty bad date in its own right.

I had a date with this guy, blind date, first time I ever did that. We were supposed to go and get coffee at this local little coffee shop that I really liked.

I met him at the coffee shop, he started right away asking me about the future, when we’d get married and that we had to have a lot of kids because he’s Catholic and all of that.

After attempting to make him understand several times that I wished to go home alone, and him saying things like ‘We’re getting along so great. I can’t wait for my parents to meet my new girlfriend.’ and ‘When we get married, we should get a big house so we can fill it up with kids.’ I finally went ‘to the bathroom’ and escaped via the side door.

I spent the next few months ducking him on campus.

At the risk of being verbose, I have 3.

1. When I was in the Navy and a student at NAS Millington, TN - late 1973 - a guy invited me to go to a picnic. We caught the bus, went to the site where they had nature paths and canoes and swimming and other stuff. Then they fed us - standard cookout food. Then they saved us. Or they tried to. We were all herded into this big room where they preached to us and demanded that we all stand and accept Jesus. Because, dammit, they fed us and the least we could do was get saved!! I was so relieved when they finally gave up, loaded us back in the bus, and took us back to the base. I never went out with that guy again.

2. Done with training, stationed at NAS North Island in San Diego, 1974. One of my roomies needed someone to double date with, so I agreed, being new in the area and all. My date was a Marine. The movie was The Omen. I spent the entire movie staring down at my lap, although I accidentally saw the part where the guy was beheaded by the plate glass. I think we might have gone for ice cream after the movie. I never saw that guy again.

3. Still at North Island, some months later, and I’m taking private pilot lessons. I spend all my free time at the flying club because I like everyone there, and sometimes I’d get invited to ride along. And this one evening, I was invited to hop in the back of the T-34, which I wasn’t yet qualified to pilot, so I accepted and had a good time. When we got back, the guy invited me to dinner. We swung by my barracks so I could change, then to his barracks so he could change - he was stationed at the 32nd Street Naval Station across the bay.

Since I didn’t have a car, I didn’t know exactly where we were going, but the neighborhood didn’t look all that great. Turns out, he was taking me to a strip club. I suffered through 2 sets of 3 songs - first the girl would be “dancing” in transparent lingerie. Blackout, then she’d strip down to tiny panties and bra and dance some more. Blackout, then she was dancing nekkid. I was mortified, and more than a little nervous about being there.

He drove me back to my barracks, unzipped, and begged me to “Touch it! Please, just touch it!” :eek: I returned to my room. He quit coming to the flying club.

Nine years later, I met my husband and lived happily ever after.

I will share the famous “Mom-face” dates.

I met this girl on a singles site. Sight unseen. Maybe exhanged a few emails.
So we make a date to go see some Improv as part of the Seattle festival of Improvisational Theater. I used to do improv and knew a few of the people who would be performing. So I drive to the theater and go to the box office to wait. She walks up and introduces herself (she knew what I looked like from a picture). She’s not pretty. She’s not ugly. She’s just pleasant looking.
She has a “mom-face”. We get our tickets and then go across the street to this pizza place and I buy us pizza. We talk and it isn’t awkward or stunted. It’s a pleasant conversation. We then go back to the theater for the shows and I get to show off by having people come up to me and say “Hey, good to see you. You performing?” And me getting to say, “Oh no not tonight.” So I look like johnny cool pants. After the show I start to walk her to her car. I thought I was clear when I said 'Let me walk you to your car." And we walk for about 3 blocks in the cold and then she turns to me and says “You parked really far away didn’t you?” I turn to her, “I was walking you to your car.” “Oh, I’m back that way.”
It turns out we parked right next to eachother. So I give her a hug goodbye and we makes plans to go out next week.

That’s not the bad date… the bad date is the second date.

She cancels the second date. Because every girl I have ever gone out with has cancelled the second date. Some reschedule, some don’t. She did. So we made plans to go out the next week.

In an email she makes a reference to me maybe not being interested so I counter with I’m interested if I get the least bit of a “come-hither” from her.

In Bellevue there’s an amazing Indian restaurant. The best in the region so people from India have told me. So I made us reservations. She had never had indian food. Okay weird… You live in the pacific northwest and you’ve never been curious to try it? Again we meet at the restaurant and she’s about 15 minutes late because she was down the street looking at cds at a used cd store. We sit down and order two sort of sampler platters. It’s full of things that neither of us have any idea how to properly eat. I atleast was willing to try. About halfway through I notice she has eaten… nothing. Except a little bit of nan. The conversation was again perfectly pleasant.
We then walk to the movie theater with about 15 feet between us. It’s weird. We saw “Hidalgo” and it was like a wall of ice was between us. The movie was boring and the longer it went on the more bored and weirded out I got. Afterwards walked her to her car, again with about 15 feet between us. The date ended with me waving goodbye and her getting in her car.

I don’t remember her name, I just call her Mom-face.

That reminds me of the girl I dated who told me her father was in the mafia and she kept losing boyfriends because her dad would send wiseguys around to keep them straight. Dunno if it was true, but I decided either way I didn’t need her in my life.

Back in my twenties, I used to occasionally wander around some of the “hip” neighborhoods and shopping areas, just checking things and people out. One time, I strike up a conversation with a random guy. We chat a bit, and he asks if I would be interested in dinner some time.

I say yes. He calls a couple days later, and we arrange things. I insist on meeting someplace public. We meet, have a drink (he bought), and he suggests a restaurant half-way across town. I say sure, we can both drive and I’ll meet him there.

BOOM!! He explodes. “I bet if I was white just like your neighbor, you would ride with me.” “Everyone here is racist.” (He was indian, I’m white, we were in Minnesota, which was very non-diverse then). On and on about how I didn’t trust him because of that. I decide that this isn’t going anyplace I want to be. So I explain one more time that it’s a safety thing and that I don’t know him. I apologize and I leave. As I’m walking to my car, he pulls up next to me in his car, rolls down the window and tells me I owe him for the drink. I throw $5 in the car and walk on.

He kept calling for weeks. Then about a month later I was watching the TV news and I see his face. He’s being brought up on assault charges, by multiple women, for the same kind of thing. I did try to see the trial, but I couldn’t ever get straight info on where/when it was.

Early high-school. Her first date. High-school dance. Slow dancing to the final song (Stairway to Heaven – what else was ever the final song.) It had been really nice for her up to that point.

Then her braces caught in my sweater. And after the music stopped and the lights went up she was still caught in my sweater. A crowd gathered to gawk.

Many years later, when I recall that evening, I still feel poorly for what she went through.

Another bad date:
After several very good dates, J. and I go to the movies. I meet him there and we hold hands and he buys us popcorn and soda, so after the movie, I hit the Ladies room and since it’s a brand-new theater, I point the men’s room out. He says “If they’ll let me in”. I ask him what he means when I return, as we walk to a coffee shop. He says it’s been so long since he’s been with a woman, other men wouldn’t consider him a man anymore. We order coffee and I say that’s not a very encouraging attitude, why would he say that out loud to me? He gets quiet for a few minutes, then explodes, shouting how dare I talk to him that way, women have it so easy, you could have sex any day of the week, any woman can and you’re not even all that beautiful, yeah, you’re average, okay prettier than average but you’re not beautiful, even though you’re attractive and your’e not gonna have sex with me!
He got that right…

I went out with a guy I’d met a few days earlier. His idea of a good time was to drive around town until he saw a good looking woman, then stop the car, jump out, pinch her on the behind, and jump back into the car again. Of course he did not tell me about his plans before he actually did it; I found out when I heard a woman hollering and saw the lights of the police car coming after us.

Needless to say, that was the last time I went out with him.