[QUOTE=Fiveyearlurker]
<snipped>
So, now, she is five days late (and generally relatively regular, though five days wouldn’t be the first time). But, testing negative on home tests.
Now, I know that there is some false negative rate for testing too early, but according to the package insert, 90% of pregnant women test positive on the day of their missed period. I would imagine that number is much higher five days later.
So, for those of you who have used these things recently, when did you get your first positive? Were you negative after the missed period?
Thanks, all.
[/QUOTE]
Not a doc or any kind of medical professional, not giving medical advice, yadda yadda yadda.
To me it sounds as though it’s just too early. You can miss a period, take a home test and still get a negative even if you’re pregnant. (Yes, it’s happened to me. :rolleyes: Got a negative, was several days late but a later test turned up positive. That’s my little one - a true prankster.
)
Most likely the hCG levels in her blood, if she’s indeed pregnant, just aren’t high enough to be detected by a home urine pregnancy test yet. Some tests say they’re much more sensitive than others and can detect those levels much earlier, but it may just depend upon where her own hCG levels are right now.
A blood serum test at the OB could tell you one way or the other, but for purposes of a quickie answer at home, she may want to wait a few more days and then try another home test.
Just IMO, it sounds like it’s too early for her to be testing positive if she’s pregnant. A few more days to allow the hCG levels to start increasing to the point where a urine home test can detect them might work. A late period doesn’t always mean pregnancy of course, but given that you were actively trying and now the cycle is late, a few more days and a repeat test might work better.
The way I did it: I suspected pregnancy and had minor symptoms (I already had children by then and so knew what to look for in my own pregnancy symptoms) but had a negative home urine test. I pulled out the calendar and counted to what would be forty-five days out from the beginning of my last cycle and planned to take another home test upon day forty-five. Bingo - the test was positive.
And the next day I started throwing up. 
But seriously - I’d give it as many more days as you can stand (unless you just want to go straight to the doc and get a blood serum test…) and then re-test. It just sounds to me like it’s too early.
Good luck to you both!!