Tell me what to watch on Netflix Instant Watch

No further details provided; I’m curious as to what you’ll recommend, Teeming Millions. :slight_smile:

I stumbled across *Survellance*on Netflix streaming. It’s a pretty cool mystery / serial killer / funny shit in it too, weird little movie.

Also, there are a plethora of MST3K episodes.

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (a documentary about one family)

Dracula- Dead and Loving It (featuring the hilarious Leslie Nielsen)

March of the Penguins (also a documentary)

Mad Men Season 1

Oh, so much. Looking through my history I recommend:

TV
Dr. Who
Doc Martin
the first two seasons of Hotel Babylon
The League
Black Adder
Red Dwarf
Party Down (Seriously watch this if nothing else I recommend)
Twin Peaks
Better Off Ted
Louie
Veronica Mars
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Guild
Friday Night Lights

Movies will be a new post. That list is already long.

Next list:
Documentaries:**
Wal-Mart: The high cost of low prices
The Business of Being Born
Nerdcore Rising
King of Kong
King Corn
Seven Up
Food Inc
Enron: the smartest guys in the room
Helvetica
Live Nude Girls Unite
Beer Wars
Gogol Bordello: Non Stop
American Grindhouse
The Parking Lot Movie
Exit Through The Gift Shop
American: The Bill Hicks Story
The Flaming Lips: Fearless Freaks
The Rise and Fall of the WCW (I am not a wrestling guy at all, but I found this fascinating.)
Persepolis (not really a documentary, but non fiction so I think it counts.)
Ken Burns: Baseball, The Civil War, National Parks, Jazz

I’ll leave normal movies for other people to list.

Just go back and read NAF1138’s post, and then watch Party Down. Rinse and Repeat. I don’t know if I would watch anything else on Netflix BUT Party Down.

Triangle.

Torchwood

MI-5, seasons 1-9.

Twin Peaks. At least watch the pilot.

Huh, I AM a wrestling guy and I wouldn’t recommend this to someone who wasn’t already interested in the subject. If you don’t mind my asking, I really am curious, could you elaborate on what it was you found interesting? The backstage machinations, and bad business decisions have a certain quality unto themselves to be sure. Watching a second tier company rise to being number one to being out of business over the course of about 5 years, it’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

To address the OP…

A surprising amount great TV sci-fi and fantasy from the last 20 years is available for streaming.

All the Star Trek shows except for DS9 are available.
X-Files
Highlander
Buffy and Angel
Lost
Battlestar Galactica.
Dr. Who

Cheers is available and it might be the best sitcom of all time IMHO.

The Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett is very good. Very faithful to the tone of Doyle’s stories if not always to the details.

I also always have to recommend Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and it’s spinoff Xena: Warrior Princess. Both of these shows are campy, and goofy, and silly but in a very good way. A lot of action shows in the late 90’s tried to ride their coat tails but nothing ever matched how charming these shows were. A friend once described them as shows you start out laughing at, and then laughing with once you figure out they have their tongue firmly in cheek. Occasionally they rise to the level of legitimately good drama as well.

Also, The Man From Earth. An indy film about a man who claims to be immortal, or at least very long lived. It’s low budget and consists almost entirely of a conversation between a group of people sitting in a living room. Very good and very thought provoking. I caught it thanks thanks to a recommendation in a previous thread.

This Sherlock Holmes series was quite good, but too short! I’m hoping we see season two.

I came in here just to recommend Sherlock! We found it when we were noodling around, bored and looking for something marginally entertaining. What a pleasant surprise! I found the first installment to be the best, but they’re all very good. From what I’ve read, they’re currently working on a second “season” of three, and I can’t wait to see them!

Benedict Cumberbatch is really good as Holmes. His looks are very arresting, and he captures that brilliant-but-abnormal Holmes vibe perfectly. But I’m totally in love with Martin Freeman as John Watson! He really nails Watson as a quite capable, experienced man, who despite his intelligence is constantly flummoxed by Holmes’s odd ways and brilliant insights.

Enough about Sherlock, I also highly recommend Party Down. And Archer. Especially if you like Arrested Development, you must see Archer.

Knowing almost nothing about pro wrestling I thought it was a really interesting look at the industry from the perspective of the underdog.

I’ve veered into movies from India. Check out Dhobi Ghat, it’s mostly in English. It begins when a beautiful Wall Street business woman returns to India for sabbatical. Meets an artist and a ratcatcher. Their lives become intertwined in Bombay.

Or perhaps you have a taste for some older bbc prductions. Scarlett Pimpernel w/elizabeth McGovern, or ELizabeth R with Glenda Jackson.

Hetalia Axis Power is a fun anime satire of world politics.

Sadly I just put my netflix on hold for a few months.

Wire in the Blood
The multi-episode series on India and on China
Dear Zachary (Letter to Zachary??..or somesuch)
Legend of the Seeker
Dexter

Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father

Warning. It’s sadder than Grave of Fireflies, at least it was to me.

La Femme Nikita (original French version)

Helvetica
The Iron Giant

Going for a little variety.

Party Down
The League
He Died With a Falafel in His Hand
Sirens
Children of the Revolution

On the one hand I am tempted to watch it to see how ANYTHING could be sadder than Grave if the Fireflies, on the other if you are righ I don’t think I want to do that to myself.