Temperature drop

In Melbourne Australia sometimes in summer the temperature will drop from around 104F to 68F or less in 5 or 10 minutes when the “change” comes through. I can’t find anything for New Years Day 2007 but from memory it dropped 50F in 5 minutes.

Brrrrrrrrr. I’m lucky I looked at the Tribune before I left to walk to work. It was 30 above at 7, and that’s how I dressed. Had to go back and get out the five-pound coat.

But it’s not the cold that was so bad. All the damn snow that melted at 43F is now glassy ice on all the sidewalks, and it aint goin nowhere soon. Guess I’ll be driving for a while.

(You in La Crescent, Brian?)

We, too, had a bit of a temperature drop yesterday and overnight here at the Joisey Shore, but nothing like you guys are talking about! Being snuggled up against the Gulf Stream, we got it like that.
The expected 40-45 MPH winds never did show up – a few gusts was all.

My cat went out at 6 in the morning and by noon he hadn’t returned. I was frantic that he was outside somewhere in the freezing wind and looked for him all afternoon. By dinnertime, with the temp at -14 and the wind howling outside I was pretty resigned that he wouldn’t ever return unless somehow he was safe in a garage nearby. By one in the morning I was about to go to bed, I had given up, it was too cold for him to survive outside and everyone would be home by now so if he was in a garage he should have been back already. Then I looked at the patio door and there he was. He wasn’t very cold but he was freaked out.

We were all so happy. He hasn’t even asked to go out since.

Hi Myron! I’m in Holmen.

Ain’t that fun? I’ve experienced a few ice-glazed cityscapes. Rush hour on a hockey rink. I’m glad the TC’s missed this latest round. (Although this current bout of subzero air sucks ass.)