Terrifyingly thin

There’s a woman in my office who has always been thin, but now she’s absolutely skeletal. She’s about 5’4", and I’d be very surprised if she’s over 80 pounds. We have lunch meetings in my department all the time, and she always shows up 20 minutes late and doesn’t eat anything.

She’s fairly reserved, and I’m not really sure how to approach her, or whether I should. I don’t know that I could possibly have any influence in getting her to eat, but maybe I’m just a chickenshit. Any ideas?

Unless you are a close friend (and it doesn’t sound like it), I wouldn’t say anything. If she is working on her problem, she doesn’t want to hear about from you, and if she’s in denial, what you say won’t make a difference anyway.

That’s basically what I keep thinking and why I keep my mouth shut, porcupine, but I keep wondering if there’s anything else I can do. I’m not a close friend, but I’d be very unhappy if anything happened to her - she’s a real sweetheart.

Do you have an H.R. Dept? Ask if insurance covers programs that treat eating disorders. Maybe they could distribute pamphlets on the program (place them in restroom, lunch room, etc. I’d put out other types of pamphlets, too, or it might look like she’s being targeted.)

I otherwise agree with porcupine.

Someone that much underweight could go into cardiac arrest abruptly, and if it happens on company property, there could be all kinds of legal and insurance pother. Maybe you should tell that to HR, and have them talk to her directly.

This kind of description always fills me with dread.

My little has Anorexia, or should say had, when she was a teen. Scared us all to death. You could feel all her bones when you hugged her. It took her a couple of years of therapy to regain a normal weight, and she’s still kinda thin.

I think you should say something, but if she’s Anorexic, it probably won’t do much good. My mother had to drag my sister kicking and screaming to the hospital for the therapy.

Just tell her she’s lost a lot of weight, and that you’re concerned for her health.
Good luck.