Thanksgiving 2021

Because we are getting together before we eat, we will cook some food collectively. But …

• Many people like stuffing, stuffed in the turkey. But my brother’s partner is sensitive to gluten. So we are doing two turkeys, a stuffed one and a gluten-free one.
  • Many people want potatoes. But my sister and her husband love potatoes au gratin, and feel like it’s more celebratory than simpler preparations. Whereas my husband can’t stand cheese. So they will make potatoes au gratin, and my husband will mash some potatoes.
  • not that there’s anything unusual about having a lot of pies on Thanksgiving, but I want my spiced cranberry-apple pie, and traditional apple pie, and my BIL wants pecan pie, and others will be sad if they don’t have pumpkin, so all 4 will be on the menu.

We’re basically cooking two dinners, although we will likely do some mix&matching for various people’s preferences.

Due to certain family members and their opinions on vaccines, I’ll be by my lonesome.
I’ll be having a steak brochette, roasted veg, King’s Hawaiian rolls, and a slice of pumpkin pie.
I may or may not crawl out of my sweats, I may or may not have my dinner whilst lounging on the couch, watching movies, and I may or may not eat the pumpkin pie first.

*A 14 pound fresh free-range Mary’s turkey. Mary’s birds are outrageously expensive, but really good.
*Gonna try cornbread stuffing this year (recipes welcome), made with sage sausage.
*Mashed spuds with giblet gravy; I make turkey stock in advance with a couple of turkey legs.
*Homemade cranberry sauce with orange zest and Grande Marnier.
*Roasted yamswithnofuckingmarshmallows.
*A not-pumpkin pumpkin pie made with roasted butternut squash instead of that canned stuff. I wanted to also make a pecan pie that is made with honey and maple syrup instead of corn syrup, but will do that some other time.

Why yes, there are only two of us. Why do you ask?

What’s the difference between a brochette and a kebab?

France and Turkey?

Where I buy them, a brochette is meat only, kebobs have onions, peppers and mushrooms.

I have also ordered a fresh heritage breed pastured turkey, from a local vendor. The only size option was “10-20 pounds”. It will be delivered tomorrow, and I will find out how large it it then. (They’ve invoiced me, so I guess I could look up the price/pound, and compare that to what they are charging me. But I’ll just wait and look at the tag tomorrow.) I bought one last year because I was avoiding markets, and these were the only people who would deliver a fresh bird. And it was crazy expensive. But it was also one of the tastiest turkey’s I’ve ever had. So I bought another one this year.

Saved that image so I can send to my sons as a Thanksgiving Day greeting. They are each 900+ miles away but it will make them laugh. They’ve been laughing at Mom for years, why stop now? Thanks

:slight_smile:

Maybe make The Evil Dead a Thanksgiving movie.

Always good to consider having a big slice for breakfast and with dinner and then another slice as a bedtime snack.

Going to my parent’s house. Everyone stayed home last year so it will be good seeing everyone. Bought a hubbard squash at the farm when we went to buy Halloween pumpkins a month ago and we’re going to make a nice autumn soup with it to bring to dinner.

We’re hosting our daughter, SIL, and grandkids. We’ve all been vaccinated and boosted except for the 2 littles, because they’re too young. Apart from the roasted bird, I’ll make sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole (by request, because ick) and steamed broccoli. My daughter is making mashed potatoes. Pumpkin pie and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Then they’ll take the baby home and my granddaughter will spend the night.

How old are the littles? It would be awful if there was a roasting mistake.

You’ve been reading “A Modest Proposal” again, haven’t you?

3 anna half years and a week anna half. And the roasting will be done before they get here…

Friends are hosting us but we’re taking some items…

1. Jello salad. (Sugar free strawberry flavor, granny smith apples, chopped cranberries, pecans).
  2. Asparagus soup (leeks, asparagus, chicken broth, greek yogurt, lemon, spices)
  3. Lettuce salad

Not sure what else. Our host is a very good cook and says he’ll smoke the turkey. We’ll root for whoever’s playing against the Cowboys.

This sounds delicious!

We traditionally pick up a huge turkey, freshly killed, from the turkey farm. My gf takes it over to her mom’s house the day before, and helps her with the cooking. Leftover turkey is a given, and we love it.

This year the table will be less crowded. One of my MIL’s sisters died last month. Another sister is in hospice care. A woman the sisters lived with died last week.

I got an invite, so no cooking for me! I will, of course, bring some really good white wine to go with the turkey. :slight_smile:

It’s very good…and it’s weight watchers?! I don’t bother with the croutons.