Thanksgiving 2021

I have my three boys (all teenagers) this year (we alternate years with their mom) as well as two close friends. This year I am spatch-cocking the turkey and cooking it the oven. I have smoked them in the past and they turn out great, but I like the house to smell like Thanksgiving inside. I will make mashed potatoes and gravy; my sausage and apple stuffing; and canned whole cranberry sauce (no ridges!) This year I am also getting a to-go order of smothered cabbage from my favorite local Cajun restaurant, as well as one of their chocolate-pecan pies. We also have a Costco gigantic pumpkin pie ($5.99!)

They’re all coming to my house! It looks like we’ll have about 20 people. I’ll cook two (maybe three for leftovers) 10 lb turkey breasts and 6 drumsticks. I’ll put two breasts and the drumsticks in the oven in an oven bag and if I do the third, I’ll put it in a crockpot. I tried that a couple of years ago and it turned out great. My husband’s favorite side is the famous green bean casserole so he’ll make that. I’ll make the gravy and a chocolate mousse pie. The rest is being brought by guests - mashed potatoes, stuffing, Hawaiian buns, corn, peach cobbler, pumpkin pie, apple pie and beverages.

We’re all vaccinated except for 2 kids.

I make cornbread stuffing most years (but this year I am going with a traditional stuffing). I don’t have a recipe, I just “know” how to make it. I’m sure with your experience, you’ll know what is right. Quantities can be adjusted for however much you want to make.

Onion
Celery
Carrots
Red Pepper
Soppressata
Old Bay
Cilantro
Cornbread
Chicken stock

Dice the Soppressata into 1/4" pieces and render out the fat. Remove from pan and saute the veg in the rendered fat until extremely soft. Add in the Old Bay and the crumbled corn bread. I leave in fairly large chunks since it breaks down when tossing. Add chicken stock (If using low sodium you may have to adjust seasoning) and toss until the cornbread is moist but not overly soaked. Add the cilantro and give a quick toss. Place in a buttered casserole, not packing tightly and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is a little crusty.

I’m going to get all pedantic, and say that if you aren’t stuffing it into anything, but are cooking it in a casserole, that’s “dressing”. Or casserole. Not “stuffing”.

^This.

Alton Brown says you should never make stuffing, and always cook it outside the bird. Bollocks to that!

Indeed.

Sorry, but that ship sailed 50 years ago.

Went to pick up my bird and was told “Sorry, they’re running a little large this year” before being handed an 18# “small” turkey. Yay leftovers, I guess :smiley:

I, too, received an 18lb bird from my vendor, today.

Eighteen pounds. We’d be eating turkey until Easter!

I created a thread.

I’m hoping to give most of it to relatives

We also have one of those vacuum sealers and we can freeze it, so if we don’t use it right away it’s all good. Turkey is fairly neutral, blends well with a lot of things.

Where?

Click on the blue link.

I went to the grocery store this morning (Jewel, for those playing the home game) and they had no eggnog. Not “out” of eggnog, just a complete War on Christmas disregard for the existence of eggnog. Checked the dairy case and the refrigerated sections where they stick the featured products.

Presumably all the eggnog is stranded in intermodal shipping containers anchored off the coast of San Francisco and we’ll get it in April.

It’s a domestic product, so the shipping container crisis shouldn’t be an issue.

Fwiw, my daughter came home with lactose-free eggnog the other day. I assume the regular stuff was available, too, but i can’t afford the calories.

Sorry, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. I mentioned the lack of eggnog to a friend before posting and he, being a dirty anti-nogger, said “Finally the supply chain issues working for me!” so it was on my brain.

With rising energy costs, I can’t afford to not have the calories. Cheaper to gain weight than to turn up the thermostat, right? Works for squirrels and bears. At least that’s what I’m telling myself as I look at my collection of holiday foods.

Cthulhu turkey, anyone?

Yes, please.