Thanksgiving 2021

Well, it’s time to gather with family and sacrifice a domestic fowl. Let’s hear what you’re planning.

I found a 12-pound pre-brined turkey at Trader Joe’s. As usual, that will be the guest of honour. I’ll make stuffing (Yes, stuffing, Alton Brown!), mashed potatoes, and gravy. The Missus will make green been casserole, and sweet potatoes with marshmallows. (Yeah… I’ll just have a bite of the sweet potatoes. I prefer them baked, and topped with some butter.) I’ll drink red wine because I prefer red wine.

It’s only the two of us, plus the cats. Goo will undoubtedly beg for bird. Abbey will only come out if we bring her out.

I was thinking we might go over to Ash Williams’ cabin, but we decided against it.

We are doing a large family gathering without food and with masks, followed by sharing out food to take home, where smaller groups of us will unmask and eat. The goal is to protect the two immune-compromised family members (my mom and my brother’s partner) while still having some family togetherness.

We’ll see how it works. My mom is suffering from some dementia, and I hope she copes okay with the masks. Last time I visited she asked me to take mine off – the first time she’s done that in more than a year.

Heading to Chicago! I get to skip out of Turkey duty! We will pick up our preordered take out from Andies, with pies from First Slice and take it all back to the Airbnb to feast with Daughter.

Oh, yeah. I picked up a Marie Callender’s pumpkin pie. Last night I found a recipe for low-carb pecan pie. I won’t make it for TG, but I’ll try it some other time.

As usual, we will be at mom and step-dad’s house. Oldest grandson and I will make deviled eggs. There will probably be turkey. We will all want potatoes of some kind and my step-dad will make sure that happens.

There will be store-bought pies because mom doesn’t make pie. But mom will make a cake for me because I do not like pie. And I’ll get to bring most of the cake home! And there will be ice cream.

I should ask mom if she wants me to bring home-made ice cream this year. Buying ice cream makers so I can make pomegranate, raspberry, and vanilla ice creams was an early pandemic purchase.

We’ve got a house full (9 adults, 3 children) including some coworkers of my wife who are moving to town this weekend. Everyone will be vaccinated except for one kid under 5.

We’ve got two fresh turkies ordered that will be 8-12 pounds and then as something new we’re having our butcher make an 18-21 pound turducken with a creole stuffing. One of the turkies will be fried and to save oven space the other other will probably be grilled. The turduken will take that turkey’s place in an oven.

After the meat orgy we’ll have apple and hot link sausage, green bean casserole, glazed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, spicy cheesy corn, cranberry dressing and some home made roles. Then we’ll have two pecan pies, a pecan cheesecake pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie.

Even with three ovens, a crockpot, the grill, deep fryer, and the stove going it will probably take two days to get it all done.

Then day two will be taquitos, and deep fried stuffing balls and maybe whatever pies didn’t get made prior to thanksgiving along with other assorted left overs. Then finally the cooking will be over and we’ll have several days of left overs.

It will just be me, my wife and her father. my MIL is in memory care and is better off staying there. I’m doing my traditional dinner, all made from scratch just in smaller quantities. Just put a turkey leg and KFC chicken bones on the made my broth for the gravy and stuffing. Yesterday I cooked some sugar pumpkins then used some the make pumpkin bread. The rest will be used for pie. Wednesday bake some rolls from scratch, make my pies and stuffing. The rest will be done on Thursday.

She ordered balsamic raspberry pear and chocolate pecan pies😋.

It will be a most non-traditional T-day

That surprises me. Pecan pie is mostly sugar, in my experience. What are the ingredients? Does it have a lot of fake sugar in it? What holds the pecans in place?

A low carb keto pecan pie recipe will make your holiday table complete! This one is so much like the real thing that no one will know the difference. I worked on this recipe for weeks to make it the best sugar-free pecan pie , and recently updated the filling with Besti powdered sweetener to make the texture even better than the older versions.

The two of us and a couple of friends, as usual. Spiral-sliced ham, stuffing, scalloped potatoes, spinach, and Pillsbury Hawaiian biscuits. One of the friends is supposed to bring dessert.

Huh. Thanks. I’ve never heard of allulose before.

Sis and BIL ordered from Whole Foods, just four of us, first holidays without Mom.:slightly_frowning_face:. I’m bringing dinner rolls, pies, green bean casserole, corn soufflé and stuffed mushrooms.

Nor have I. I don’t use sweeteners, so all I know of is sugar or Splenda. Or Stevia (?) something?

But I may have to try that recipe.

My niece recommended I read The Court of Thorns and Roses series. It’s actually pretty erotic, on Anne Rice’s level. I’m thinking of ways to bring it up in conversation so I can subtly embarrass her in front of her parents.

For the second Thanksgiving in a row, it’ll be just me. The rest of my family live too far away, and my son and his wife are in the midst of moving and have an ailing dog. Last year I got a turkey drumstick, but I couldn’t find any this year. I’m having chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, and a small homemade apple crisp… I’ll focus on being grateful I have loving family, even though I won’t get to be with any of them.

In that case, be careful. Like zylitol , the stuff can give you gas and cramps. You can’t digest it, but the bacteria in your lower gut can.

Just five of us for Thanksgiving but the turkey I’m picking up from the butcher tomorrow is in the 12-15lb range so plenty to go around plus leftovers plus probable soup stock conversion along with the bones. I’m a traditionalist and the turkey goes in the oven as Jesus & the Pilgrims intended.

Picking up an apple pie from a woman who does baking and probably a $5 giant Costco pumpkin pie because it will be expected. Potatoes in roasted, mashed and dumpling form, carrots, green beans, sauerkraut, liver-dumpling soup, stuffing and my wife is setting up a charcuterie board. I might grab some sausage as a secondary meat. It will be a dumb amount of food for five people but, damn it, I want it all.

I’m going to my friend’s house, as usual. It’ll be me, the two of them and babby, and his brother and wifey in from Seattle. He’s smoking one bird, roasting another, multiple dressings, taters, bean casserole, “the onion dish” which is a family thing consisting of like 5 different onions and stuff baked together. I’m doing cranberry sauce and cheesecake, then making the gravy.

We’ve been doing this for about 15 years, with a shifting crew of supporting characters, sometimes as many as 15, sometimes as few as 6 like this year.

Another year not flying (which I’m happy about) and not seeing my family (which I’m not happy about) because a family member who was blustering about not getting vaccinated and masks not doing anything caused Thanksgiving to be cancelled. Instead, I’ll be with my in-laws for the first time, so I have no idea what will be served.