thanksgiving alone

First thanksgiving in my 27 years Ive ever had without my family. It sucks.

Cheer up BLine. That will be me at Christmas this year and Im thinking about making something good happen. I thought I would go down to the shelters and help serve the homeless. Check around your area and see what activities are happening today. You never know, you just might make a new friend, which is always something to be thankful for.

I am me… accept it or not.

Me too BL. I’m making homemade chili to pass the time. Good idea Sue, I wish I had thought of that for Thanksgiving. I will be up in St. Louis with family for Xmas/New Years but I will keep the idea in mind for next year.

For those in Houston, try:

KC’s Bar and Grill on Fountainview

Rudyards Pub on Waugh

Both will be open and have lots of food brought in by the regulars and not so regulars who don’t have family in town.

If your a sports fan, KC’s has lots of TV’s and they show all the games. They also have a nice deck [if it warms up].

Rudyards only have a few TV’s but has a large selection of draft beer.

Must be nice to live in civilization.

::Muttering why-oh-why did I move to middle Ga. ?? ::

A point in every direction is like no point at all

My sympathies, folks. It can be a bummer.
I’m alone too, and probably will be for Christmas as well. It really isn’t bad unless you let it be.
(Quick note: it’s probably much easier for me because the peace and solitude is soooo much better than what I had before.)
I’m making a huge casserole and pot of soup, neither one of which has a scrap of turkey in it to run down to the shelter tomorrow morning before work. Food tends to flow in on the holidays, but days after and nonholidays can be sparse for shelters. So I make stuff that is fresh, from scratch and just for them.
It makes me feel good, and I enjoy doing it. I have the music pumping, a bottle of wine opened, the dog is snoozing on her pillow and yeah, I have a lot to be thankful for.
Hope it gets easier for you!
Feel free to write if you get the blues.
Veb

Well, I am not going to be alone for the holidays, exactly, but being surrounded by sick animals and cranky co-workers isn’t my idea of a festive Turkey Day either.

What’s going to be even more depressing is when I am at work on New Year’s Eve. The rest of the world is going to be partying and kissing loved ones, while I am going to be shoving a thermometer up a dog’s rear end.

Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.–Coleridge

Michelle,

There are alot of people like you that have the shift on the holidays that go unappreciated … until you need them. Health, safety, utilities etc. So thanks to all of you for keeping the ship going when we are out partying. Bet you feel better than most of us Jan 1 though :wink:

A point in every direction is like no point at all

B-Line,

This is my 2nd or 3rd Thanksgiving alone. The one I really remember that I actually had fun was in 94.

I lived 5 hours from all my family and were going to see them in a few days for a family trip out of town. I decided it made more sense to just stay home.

I cooked myself a cornish game hen with stuffing, boiled 2 potatoes for homemade mashed potatoes and a small greenbean casserole. While the food was cooking, I decorated my house for Christmas (so I wouldn’t have to do it when I got back) and wrapped Christmas presents all the while drinking my beer and listening to classical music. It was actually fun.

This year, most of my family is out of town. Not in the mood to hang out with the step-family, I went into work for a few hours. As an Information Systems Manager I seized the opportunity to get some system maintenance done. Tonight, I am going to go hang out with the b-friend, watch movies, drink some beer and eat frozen pizza.

Ah, I don’t mind, it’s actually kind of nice not having to deal with helping clean and cook :slight_smile: I love my family dearly but we have so many family functions throughout the year, it’s not a big deal!

Hope this helps you know that there are others out there that are making the best of being alone on T-giving.

Happy Thanksgiving to you :slight_smile:

Bummer… do you not have a friend who is also alone you can spend some time with, maybe share a cyber-turkey dinner or something?

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I am also alone for Thanksgiving and like Michelle, at work. Same for Christmas night and New Year’s Eve. Yippee!!

Oblio, thank you for being one of the few people who remember people who have to work the holidays so others may enjoy them!

Born O.K. the first time…

If you are born again, do you have two belly buttons?

I had Thanksgiving with my family this year. It was decent. However, I could do without the constant bickering our dysfunctional family has whenever they meet inside any enclosed space.

However, I did spend Thanksgiving “alone” in the respect that my girlfriend wasn’t with me. I haven’t seen her in a few days. It’s been rough on the old heart strings, let me tell you what. I hope to see her again soon. However, I gave thanks for her at the meal, which was very sincere on my part. It almost brought a tear to my eye.

The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

This is my first Thanksgiving without Mom (we are celebrating today because we’re funny like that).

Yesterday, we went out to eat. As we were leaving, I saw a woman from behind using the exact same cane and with short graying hair exactly like my Mom.

I left, making sure not to see her face. I wanted to think it was her after all.

Then I cried…

Yer pal,
Satan

B_Line12, Sorry to hear about your T-day. I have been there, it ain’t no fun. I don’t know if it helps but I can empathize with you. If there is anything that anyone here can do please mention it.

Satan, again your post touched me. Please don’t think that the persona that I created for the board is my real one. Particularly, the flat earth thingy. I lost my mom 4 years ago two weeks before Xmas. Talk about a bad time! Man, the tears welled up in my eyes just reading your post. I wish I could tell you that it all gets easier, but I can’t. I don’t know you or your family and maybe some deal with this kind of thing better than others do. All I know is she is dead and after 4 years it got a little better, but, man, we used to have the TALKS! She was really smart, I mean way smart. She died a horrible agonizing death of heart disease, lung cancer, and diabetes. Hope this doesn’t depress you, I didn’t mean it that way. Hope your xmas is a nice one. If I get the chance, I’ll e-mail you to explain some things. I tried just now but my e-mail service is down. Good luck on the tour,

Yours,

Ken

Just wanted to mention that that’s a good idea in theory, but practice may be something else. Years ago, my mom and I went down to the church on Thanksgiving to help with the meals on wheels. There were four times as many people volunteering as there were dinners to assemble, so most of the time we were just outside smoking. One of the administrators was outside smoking with us, and she was not pleased. She had a lot to say about people (not us personally) who want to put in face time on the holiday itself, but don’t respond to fundraising attempts. My mom got her message, volunteered to be part of the fundraising committee, and I believe a large chunk of the Xmas fund was due to her.
I’m not advising against volunteer work, just suggesting that find out beforehand where your services will really be needed. Maybe go to the local old folks’ home and visit with the people whose kids never show.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

Michelle wrote:

Look on the bright side: You’re gonna be in a much less vulnerable location when the power goes out at exactly midnight due to all the Y2K bugs going off at once. :slight_smile:
– tracer, keepin’ his flashlights and shotgun handy on new year’s eve.

Yeah, I spent Thanksgiving alone too. Not too bad though, I can cook (to my satisfaction anyway), so that wasn’t going to be an issue. I’m not really much of a sentimental type anyway, and I’m somewhat of a hermit to boot. Bein’ alone ain’t all that bad.

It’s a long way to heaven, but only three short steps to hell.