That flick was a good as I remembered!

astorian gave us “I could have SWORN that was great!”

So what are some films you watched and enjoyed while in a different stage of life, that were still good upon reviewing much later? As I indicated in that post, I am making a point of renting older films to watch with my kids, and am regularly struck by what clinkers some of my old favorites are.

Here are a couple I recently watched that, IMO, held up.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
Mary Poppins
The Dirty Dozen

Digression, what is the most common response of folks when you ask them how a movie was that they rented?

“It wasn’t that bad.”

Quite a recommendation, isn’t it.

I’m always amazed when I watch The Day the Earth Stood Still. I mean, I always thought it was good, but every time I see it I think “That’s a movie for ADULTS!” (in the real, grown-up, mature, non-sexual way) “Why couldn’t more science fiction movies be like that? Heck, why can’t more movies of ANY kind be like that?”

“Young Sherlock Holmes” (“Pyramid of Fear”) was on TV last night, and I enjoyed it as much as I did when I saw it at the movies at age 12! Great, underappreciated Spielberg movie.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I think I could watch it every day.

I agree with The Sting

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark as a teenager. Still a rousing adventure.

Most Disney animated classics are timeless, as well.

The Wizard of Oz, of course

“This Is Spinal Tap” is still one of my favorite movies. I hadn’t seen it in almost five years, and I just caught it on VH1 a couple nights ago. It’s even funnier than I remembered it ('course, I probably didn’t get half the jokes at the time).
“Music Man” was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I saw it again a month ago. It’s still fantastic. I wish I could see the revival on Broadway.

I watched Drop Dead Fred this past weekend withmy 6 year old daughter. Geez, I like that movie. Could be the numerous beauty shots of my hometown Minneapolis, could be the Young Ones guy Rik Mayoll… could be that darling Phoebe Cates. I don’t know, I just like it. And my kid does too.

On the flip, I watched Muriels Wedding again, after LOOOVING it in the theater. It went clunk the second time, but it could have been my co-watchers don’tgetitness. Men.

Ghostbusters
This is Spinal Tap
Brazil
Some Like It Hot (hadn’t seen it since late-night tv as a kid)
Young Sherlock Holmes (I’m with you, Coldfire)
Singin in the Rain
The Mummy (not the best movie, but good for campy fun)
The Princess Bride (BETTER every time I watch it)

*As for your digression? Response around these parts is either “It was really COOL,” or “It SUCKED.” I ususally gauge the quality by the person who I’m asking.

with Mel Gibson. I know it has not been around as long as most of those previously mentioned, but seeing it again the other night I was just as entertained as the first time I saw it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Princess Bride too.

Yes, I saw Some Like it Hot the other night, and still like it just as much.

It’s been a while, but Singin’ in the Rain (and a lot of other old musicals) seem to get better and better every time.

But the strange thing is that most of my favourite oldies are movies full of suspense, like High Noon, The Manchurian Candidate, and most of Hitchcock. They still keep up the tension, even though I know exactly what’s going to happen. I suppose that’s the mark of a good movie.

The Princess Bride

It’s a mad mad mad mad world.

Mad Max

I agree with “The day the earth stood still.”

Willy Wonka and the chocalate factory.

Man, that was a good one. I’d forgotten.
I’ll vote for Young Frankenstein and, of course, Monty Python and the Holy Grail as well. Silly, but they still make me laugh.

Gotta go with “The Princess Bride”. I know it’s corny…but I think that may be why I like it so much.

Yet another vote for The Princess Bride. I loved the movie when i was younger and I fond it even funnier now. I also still enjoy Star Wars and Star Trek IV.

Another vote for The Princess Bride! What about Labrynth? I always enjoyed that movie myself. Hmm I got to go get my copy of Princess Bride back from my aunt and rent Labrynth again…