That's it. I'm done with canned soups...

Progresso canned soups always taste like metal to me.

Amy’s lentil soup is great, but IIRC it needs salt and pepper, and it tastes better heated on the stove than in the microwave. It’s hella good for you, too.

I tried a can of Amy’s Organic Chicken Soup once. It tasted like death. Even Campbell’s tasted better.

I am always making quick soups and basically I just use broth and add all my favorite veggies and sometimes some meat or pasta. You don’t need a recipe just use what you like.

I made the most awesome broccoli cheese potato soup once on the fly. I cooked chicken broth and potatoes and onions together. Added some broccoli when the potatoes were about done, then removed about half the potatoes/broccoli/onions and pureed the remaining veggies. Added some shredded cheddar cheese, then added back the other veggies. Pureeing the potatoes made it creamy so I didn’t need to add cream, I may have added a teeny bit of milk though. Seasoned to taste with salt and pepper. No fancy recipe needed.

Seriously, there’s no reason to buy canned soup when it’s so easy to make your own. We start with V8/tomato juice or veggie boullion, then just add whatever veggies float boat and perhaps pasta or orzo. Couldn’t be easier. A lot of the soups you buy in “bags” or packets are pretty tasty, but they’re pretty pricey as well; however, you can’t go wrong with the bagged 15 bean soup. Just throw out the “seasoning” packet and add your own flavor! Home made potato soup is a snap, as well. For ease and impressiveness, the best soup I’ve ever made (and continue to!) is the Caribbean Pumkin Stew I picked up from someone on this board. It just basically involved 3 cans and cutting up a couple kinds of veggies. Can’t remember who contributed the recipe, right now, but I’m forever grateful!

I make soups all the time in my crockpot, and because of that I’ve abandoned canned soup altogether.

Usually, I decide what kind of soup I want to make and check recipes for it online. I find one that has ingredients I already have in my pantry (or that require a minimum of shopping for ones I don’t) and just go for it.

One thing I’ve discovered–if you’re making crockpot soup that uses pasta, rice, barley etc. as an ingredient, use about half the amount the recipe calls for. I’ve found that things like that continue to absorb liquid even after they’ve been put away for another day’s meal. I made a beef barley soup last week that was absolutely killer when fresh–when I took a container for lunch a couple of days later, it had taken on this porridge-like consistency and lost much of its beefy goodness.

Another idea–cook the starchy ingredients separately and add them to the soup at serving time or when you pack your lunch.

Soup is good food; canned soup is convenience food.

Hey, I was sick and thought a can of the “fabulous” “Wolfgang Puck” soup would make me feel better. SOLID SALT. No other taste. Yuck!

I was quite disappointed, and I will NEVER BUY THAT ‘BRAND’ AGAIN.:mad:

I’m sticking to my own homemade chili, too. My recipe won first prize at the Anchorage Daily News Chili Cookoff a couple of years ago.

Ooh, recipe, please?

I did not know about these guys.

I may be having spinach pie and coq au vin for lunch next week!