The Absolute Worst Christmas Song, Bar None

I’d listen to that!

Maybe it’s a really blasphemous song, and it’s talking to a different Mary.

When I lived in my old town, I was involved in a Christmas project for needy families, and was there wrapping presents with a lot of other people, including a group of teenage boys. The director put on this HORRIBLE CD of hard-rock Christmas carols, and when I heard the people at the next table say, “I’m going to leave if they don’t change the music,” something I was actually thinking about doing myself, I told her, and she agreed that she really didn’t like it either and did change it. She put it on because she had two young-adult sons herself and thought the kids there might have liked it.

Sorry, bad music is bad music, no matter the genre.

But it’s almost worth it existing just to justify Patton Oswalt’s scathing takedown of it.

Might it have been A Twisted Christmas by Twisted Sister?

No, it wasn’t. Now, THAT might have at least been fun the first time.

Like this? :smiley:

OP is on drugs or something. The absolute worst Christmas song, bar none is Do They Know It’s Christmas?

I mean, you gather up a who’s who of 80’s pop stars for the noble cause of raising money to assist in the relief of one of the most devastating famines in living memory, and you record that?!?

(Who would think anyone would be interested almost 40 years later, especially after it was revealed that the African “aid” caused more problems than it solved?)

Possible (speculative?) explanation: YouTube and perhaps other sites may have been having problems yesterday. I noticed yesterday that I wasn’t able to view any YouTube videos – no error message or anything, the videos simply wouldn’t load. It’s working today.

I spoke to a friend today, and this topic came up. He asked me if I got my internet service through AT&T. (I do. Do you, @Cervaise?) My friend said he heard scuttlebutt to the effect that AT&T service was affected because of that AT&T facility that got damaged in the Nashville explosion.

My nomination for the most annoying Xmas music (at least that I know) is “Christmas Don’t Be Late”, and specifically when sung by the Chipmunks. (As is, of course, anything sung by the Chipmunks.)

I’m in Europe, so no.

I suspect it’s just that I don’t yet grasp the subtleties of Discourse.

You do realize that you quoted an excerpt from my post that explicitly includes the phrase “hanging onto the vestiges of the season’s original religious purpose,” don’t you?

Okay, I see the problem with your link. You used the wrong format. You had:

[text](URL)

which displays text as a link to URL. This can be used even in the midst of a line or paragraph of other text

To get the “OneBox” format, where it shows a preview of the linked page, you must put the URL alone on a line, with no [text] part and no parentheses around the URL and nothing else at all on the same line.

Thanks. I tried that version, and the Discourse draft viewer on the right showed only the thumbnail image published by youtube, not the video preview.

I think I need to send a bunch of test messages to myself before trying anything complicated.

As I noted in the Trump Martial Law thread also, I was having problems with YouTube yesterday. So, independently of your experience above, maybe there was something going on there. So yeah, try some experiments with it now and see what happens. Like this:

ETA: And yeah, I think I see what you’re talking about now too. The preview shows the picture, but no clickable link to actually play the video in the preview. Once actually posted, it looks like it works.

”Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you!”

Yeah, that’s exactly what I wanted to happen.

When I saw how the actual post was rendered, I grumbled, and shrugged it off. Had I known that the Official SDMB Judges’ Panel would climb up my asshole because this key piece of information was inaccessibly locked inside the fortress of a two-second click, I would have taken another crack at it.

I don’t know about you, but most YouTube videos mean ads, and I’ve had enough of those.

My burning hate is reserved for “The Christmas Song”, also know as “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”. I will not provide a link because I might hear it. Even just typing the title puts the song in m head.

ARGH!

Cervaise didn’t know
That his YouTube link
Would get this much attention
Cervaise didn’t know
That his YouTube link
Would lead to such dissention
Didn’t know that his YouTube link
Wouldn’t suit Discourse’s whim
The video he linked to was then re-linked for him