The All-New Diablo II Thread

My characters were deliberately underpowered (didn’t drink potions), but I found that the combination of spike/orb and hydra did well enough against most stuff thrown my way. Then again, I was a deliberate, tactical, patient player who didn’t often go in, guns blazing, and reduce everything to a quivering mass of fear.

There is a lvl 4 (or was last I played her) baby enchantress in sd-team4 that should probably be leveled ASAP for the purpose of getting an enchant above, say, 400 points. If we want to make a necro who uses enchant along with skellies, probably give him a ravenclaw, since it does exploding damage, and use IAS gear - death’s (30) and twitch (20) seem like the best options.

True, but you can convert items. Create a 1.09 character in Shadowmaster, stuff it to the gunwhales with gear, then start a game. Diablo II will automatically upgrade the character and all items on it to 1.10, at which point you can use ATMA to export a 1.10-compatible copy of the item.

Unneccessary. You can do the same in ATMA. Just transfer items to a 1.09 mule, transfer that character to your 1.10 character folder, and start a game with that character. Problem solved. You just can’t convert it back.

As for SP Hell level viability, I’ve had very good luck with summonmancers and avengers. 'Zons, my favorite build in 1.07-1.09, simply suck once you enter Hell. I’ve never played assassins or druids much, so can’t really help there. Frenzibarbs are decent, but are extremely item-dependant.

I was specifically thinking about it because my barbarian is ready for Hell, and capable of soloing the quest (I tested in games where I couldn’t get credit), but of course he already has normal Baal. So I was thinking it’d be nice if we had a rushee character who could solo the normal quest, so my barb could carry a full load with him into Hell.

But I’ve thought of a simpler way. Rusher sorc arranges an unfortunate accident for her merc some time around Lister or so (this will also incidentally facilitate the soldiers quest, if we so choose), and goes down to the Chamber. She briefly dons a Prevent Monster Heal weapon, and gives Baal a couple of good whacks (if attack rating is a concern at this point, Enchant will help). She then switches back to regular gear, and statics the Hell out of Baal. Now that all the Hell is staticked out of him, rushing player leaves the sorc, and brings in a 21. The problem now is not of a level 21 soloing Baal, but just one of a level 21 doing one point of damage to Baal, which is a considerably easier problem.

With that said, do we currently have anyone at level 20? If so, I’d like to do another mule rush ASAP. If not, I think I’ll be working on that enchantress for a while, since we want to level her anyway.
Tamerlane, unless you’re making a hammerdin or an avenger, you will need at least two main attacks by the time you get to Hell. Even then, you’ll still occasionally encounter things you can’t handle, but they’ll at least be rare enough that you can just avoid them. For an amazon, I would recommend Strafe, Immolation Arrow, or Lightning Fury (you’d keep a javelin on weapon switch, then). Valkyrie is nice, but make sure you have enough points left over to max both your attacks and to build up their synergies. You might also want to use different weapons depending on enemy immunities: A high-damage bow with Strafe and a bow with +skills for Freezing Arrow, for instance.

I have my FO/Hydra sorc at lvl 32 for normal. Since she’s only a playtoy, I can use her then for normal and if I can get her to 40 before we rush then you can get her the ancients in nm with your sorc and she can assist your barb in case he needs it.

By the way, I’ll be off line Friday, Saturday and almost all of Sunday… I’ll be out of town.

Perhaps someone else brings in the 21, who then hostiles the sorc and kills the merc.

Malice might be your best bet for PMH unless you’d rather carry around a Hwanin Belt. Malice will also give 100% chance for Open Wounds, so perhaps the thing to do is to give it to the 21, have a mule bring in the rush sorc (whichever it happens to be), hand off, get Baal PMHed, slivered, get the 21 down, hand off the Malice in a corner and then get the mule back.

Only night that looks good for a rush is Friday, given the barrage of other activities currently saturating my free time. Folks will need to be patient, though; beyond existing and making the occasional snarky comment, I can’t do a hell of a lot in games.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I’ll have to try that ATMA trick.

I’ve never actually been a huge Paladin fan and have only rarely played them, since they seemed so much more geared to parties. But perhaps I will give one a try again - seems they have been changed more significantly than most ( especially if a hammerdin of all things is suddenly formidable again ). In the meantime I’ll try a Strafe backing to FA and see how it goes.

Are elemental druids any more viable now?

• Tamerlane

So you hit Baal with it and swap out weapons, and then wait eight seconds before starting the static smackdown. I’m pretty sure that he won’t bleed to death from a single Open Wounds.

It looks like we won’t get both Who and punha in a game at once this week, so what times work well for others? Tuesday nights in general are bad for me, and this Friday doesn’t look too great, but tonight, Wednesday, Thursday, or Sunday would be fine.

Also, punha, some thoughts about the framerate: First, have you tried any other games? This might conceivably be a problem with your video card or somesuch, in which case it wouldn’t just be Diablo II. Secondly, have you tried cranking all of your video options way down to the low end? While this wouldn’t lead to the best playing experience, it’d have to be better than single-digit FPS.

Flash games have been running slow on here. I don’t know if it’s specifically a vid card issue or if the proc is also really tired, given how long it can take to do some other things.

I tried cranking down vid options and got no discernible difference other than craptacular display.

Tonight is fine as long as it starts at a reasonable hour. With the way stuff is shaping up this week, every night will be okay after 930 EST.

Right. If we have Baal slivered to a pixel, I’m thinking the gear to use is +life all the way. A mask can have 3 sockets, so that’s +114 life there, and a BP can have 3 as well, giving us +114 more. Pelta Lunata will probably give us the most life of any shield, Bloodfist is fairly standard with +40 life, Manald/Cathan ring ammy and Hsaru’s belt combine for +323 life, which at level 21 seems pretty nontrivial to me. I’m just not sure what to put in the Lunata, because ISTM that Baal won’t be alive long enough to hurt with elemental, and nothing from a jewel would give us life worth using (gems do not give life in shields).

Well, I don’t know how much I’ll be on this week. I have a ton of work to do, but maybe i can play a little as a reward for getting something accomplished.

Thanks for the shako, Who. I may make an avenger so that I can use that amulet, since they sound like fun.

I tried that first, and it didn’t work. Hmmm.

Chronos - my summoner druid is somewhere in the low 20s and up for a rush, so sort out a time.

Now that I think about it, I believe you’ll need the two versions (1.09 and 1.10) separately installed*. Move the 1.09 item to a 1.09 mule. Start up 1.09 and “burn in” that character. Then transfer that character from the 1.09 save file to the 1.10 save file. Start up 1.10, open up that character, and the item is now good to go for 1.10.

Sorry for the 1/2 answer previously.

*You’ll have to rename the file each time you switch back and forth, but it’s not that bad. There’s a crack you can use, but I have no idea where you’d find it.

Note that I’m not talking about slivering Baal to one pixel, I’m talking slivering him to literally one hitpoint. As in, one pulse of Holy Fire, or one Psychic Hammer, or one raven-peck. The killer need never even get in line of sight. So I’m thinking that equipment wouldn’t even matter at all.

I have other things I really should be doing tonight, but let’s say tomorrow? Unfortunately, if we’re going to include the Californians, we’d have to wait until about 7:00 PM Pacific, which would be 3:00 AM Greenwich, and continuing for perhaps two hours… Is that workable, Evil Death? Or alternately, would you feel comfortable lending anyone your password?

Also, I put a few more levels on the Enchantress, but she’s already rushed, so we can’t use her quest. It’d still be worthwhile to have her built up, though.

In which case it’s far easier to do it with Shadowmaster. Unless you’re talking about online? Tamerlane specifically said he didn’t play online.

One HP? In that case, we might as well go with something that’ll auto-hit. My suggestion would be GA at any level. Give her a Ravenclaw, to boot. Another option is an asn with any sort of trap or a sorc with telekinesis.

…min/maxing? Me? I … don’t know what to say…

Found an Earth Shifter Thunder Maul for any elemental druid out there…n00b already has one. It can be had with the original account.

Found a Crescent Moon amulet also, pretty good for a mana hog(ette). Anyone in need of it, hit me up online.

I finally have my CMPB for my paly! Yay! :slight_smile:

I lucked into D" last night on our SDMB game, got Boss Og and got Punoq’s assassin to help out and got the charm…17/18/7…identical to what Boss Og already has…I let Punoq switch his Anni (12/13/7 I think) and then let OneBoxCharms pick and hold that anni for anyone who needs it.

The way the SOJ sales happened on this was very bizzare in a span of 3 minutes this was how the sales went down:

5229 SOJs sold to merchants
5288 SOJs sold to merchants
5307 SOJs sold to merchants
Diablo Walks the Earth

Only 3 entries in 3 minutes…is that HOT or what?