The American Coup: 11.9.2020 -

Folks, I watched the Rep. Sherrill’s whole address to her constituents and she doesn’t say anymore about it than is featured in that quote. She is very poised and clear in her talk but it mostly recaps the events of the 6th and then describes the processes that Congress is going thru and why. No need to watch all 13 minutes of her address unless y’all want to tho, IMO.

Good find, Fiveyear.

I was reminded of this story from a few days ago. Wondering if there is something bubbling under the surface here about inside help that the Republicans are now trying to distance themselves from:

Clyburn says he believe a commission like that of the 9/11 attacks need to be created to investigate the violence and certain actions he says are suspicious. He included that none of the vandals so much as touched the office door with his name on it, yet the unnamed office where he spends most of his time was ransacked and his personal iPad was stolen out of its case.

“And something else was going on here,” Clyburn says. “My office, if you don’t know where it is, you ain’t going to find it by accident. And the one place where my name is on the door, that office is right on Statuary Hall. They didn’t touch that door, but they went into that other place where I do most of my work, they showed up there harassing my staff… They went where you won’t find my name, but they found where I was supposed to be. So something else was going on untoward here.”

It seems increasingly evident that there was some help from Republican members of the House or their staff, and if that’s the case, then they need to be expelled.

I don’t expect Republicans to take such efforts very well, though, or lying down. It’ll be part of what they cite as evidence that Democrats are rigging the system against them, and they will double down on their own authoritarianism.

I can only hope that corporate America cuts off their money supply. I won’t hold my breath though.

Expelled? All your … bluster and this is it?

1. Trump does popular Insurrection
  2. It fails
  3. In response, military pours into DC
  4. Trump does military Insurrection

…possible?

In the grand scheme of things a president taking over with the military is possible but not in Trump’s case. The upper ranks of the military have come out in opposition to Trump, or at least to sedition. I suppose it’s possible that the army has been planting a false narrative so nobody prevents them from flooding DC but that would have required some fore-thought. Not likely with Trump.

This is what is giving me nightmares.

In a statement sent out to the entire US military, all eight members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff condemned the Capitol insurrection — incited by the current commander in chief — and warned service members not to do anything to impede President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration.

While that may be a general statement about the insurrection meant more for the public, the next section was clearly meant for the troops they help lead.

“As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution,” they wrote. “Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath; it is against the law.”

“President-elect Joe Biden,” they concluded, “will be inaugurated and will become our 46th Commander in Chief.”

So, nope.

Once upon a time, having to even need to send out that note would have been so unimaginable the Chiefs would have been offended by the mere idea.

Congratulations to the American Right Nationalist movement, and their living avatar Donald Trump.

I left this line out of my quotation (as I have a tendency to quote too much of an article):

For all eight Joint Chiefs to speak out together — in a “message to the Joint Force,” no less — shows just how perilous they deem this moment to be.

Yup. What’s happening now isn’t the coup — but it’s adjusting expectations so that when the coup does come it isn’t so unthinkable.

Trump doesn’t need support of the whole military though… just the ones in DC, right? At least at the start?

I’m not sure why you’re pushing this so hard. It’s very hard to believe that lower-level army commanders would support an insurrection when they know the upper echelon are against it. That’s a fast ticket to hard prison time. Physically holding on to DC for a time doesn’t give one the authority of the government and few if any would obey their orders. This only makes sense if you think the military leadership is gas lighting.

Not just that but it’s WRONG.

Sorry to keep discussing this, am I a bad person for thinking hes totally hot?

Historically it is the Colonel level that back coups

If they helped an attack on the Capitol, the expulsion part should be skipped because they need to be arrested and go to prison.

Moderating

This is completely unnecessary and inappropriate for the forum.

Agreed, and I see no reason why that wouldn’t happen