The Ark of the Covenant

Does it exist, and if it does, where?

Hey, wow, can we find the Holy Grail this easy too? Just ask.

yes, Ethiopia

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

If it did, I think there would be pictures of it in any encyclopedia.

Also, if it did exist, it might shed some light on what “cherubim” were exactly, as they adorned the Ark.

We’ve always assumed that it meant “angels,” but that is just a Hebrew (thru Greek) word for “messenger.”

Angels in the Old Testament are never depicted as having wings, only cherubim and seraphim are.

And the exact origins of those words are lost–they are copied pretty much just as they appear in Hebrew.

I could be wrong on that last point, and I would welcome anyone more knowledgeable in Hebrew to set me straight.

And while I’m at it I’ve kind of been wondering about the fountain of youth.

“Fountain of Youth”–St. Augustine FL

In the same neighborhood as the “Old Jail,” “Ripley’s Believe It or Not,” and the “Museum of Tragedy.”

Been there, done that–many times.

FYI, according to my “Dictionary of Angels” (excellent encyclopaedic reference of angels is Judeo/Christian/Muslim writings), cherubim and seraphim are two of the nine orders of angels. The others have wacked out names like Kingdoms, Thrones, and Chalupas.

Anyone who wants the angelic death spell, email me. It’s totally cool.

Never attribute to an -ism anything more easily explained by common, human stupidity.

The ark disappeared in the destruction of the First Temple. No one knows exactly what happened to it, although a good supposition would be either that it was destroyed with the temple or that it was hauled off as war booty, then forgotten and trashed when the conquerors were, themselves, conquered.

Tom~

I heard Ethopia as well, namely that some church in Ethopia claims to have the Ark, but since it’s in the inner sanctum of the church and surrounded by machine gun wielding guards and no one’s allowed to see it except for a select few, no one has been able to verify or deny its existance.

I’ve also heard it’s in a US military warehouse somewhere.

“I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Sometimes, guys, it pays to search the Archives.

What happened to the Ark of the Covenant?

There were also some follow-up columns.

Bottom line: no one knows for sure, as Tom said. The most likely scenario is that it was melted down for the gold value by the Babylonians. The Ethiopia story ranks right up there with the Bermuda triangle and the shroud of Turin. Believe it if you want.

On cherubim, there is a reasonable consensus among Biblical scholars that they were like the big winged part-lion, part-eagle, part-human statues from ancient Babylon and Sumeria.
[Note: This message has been edited by CKDextHavn]

What of Revelation 11:19?

“And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.”

Is this passage referencing the ark of the covenant? This would lead credence to the theory that the ark still exists and currently resides in heaven.

Just a thought.

Yep, it’s in the cathedral in Valencia, Spain, right next to the severed arm of St. Vincent the Martyr. Or so the Valencians claim…

\\| |/
=== '>

So can I order an Angel Chalupa at Taco Bell? Mmmm… that with some guac on the side. Heavenly!

ARTHUR:
Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail.
FRENCH GUARD:
Well, I’ll ask him, but I don’t think he’ll be very keen. Uh, he’s already got one, you see.

Wow, this thread has been going since 10:00PM last night, and no one has even thought to mention Indiana Jones?

Enright3

CKDextHavn, wise moderator, I tremble at the thought of contradicting you, but weren’t seraphim the part-animal/part-human “angels” ?

Quand les talons claquent, l’esprit se vide.
Maréchal Lyautey

E3, that’s what sparked the question. It was on TV while I was in here. I didn’t even think to look at the archives. Duh.

Enright3, That’s because if you have anything much to do with Washington you know that Indiana Jones’ answer is correct. Don’t tell anybody but the warehouse is right out there by Dulles. Lots of us close our eyes when we drive by there.

Enright3: Wow, this thread has been going since 10:00PM last night, and no one has even thought to mention Indiana Jones?

Sorry. Jophiel alludes to it 6 posts above yours. (“I’ve also heard it’s in a US military warehouse somewhere.”)

You ever met Dr. Jones? Really nice guy. A professor emeritus at my university. He drew a picture of the cherubim statues for me. Don’t tell anyone, but he’s got the true cross in his garage. He never could get Lucas to make a movie about that one…