The Baseball HOF Class of 2009 thread

Not the kind of value I’m counting towards the HOF. Yes, it helped the Phillies and Expos and Reds to have Pete Rose on the field instead of me his last few years, but he wasn’t a very good player his last five or six years and I’ll give him all the record for those years that the he earned in the stat books. But in the HOF? No.

That’s basically the Bill Simmons Pyramid Concept for the Hall of Fame.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, but shouldn’t a guy with a *relatively *short or low peak get credit for being somewhat above average for a decade at the end of his career, as opposed to a guy who was a baseball god for four or five years but contributed very little aside from that? That’s a ton of wins he’s contributing. Why can’t there be more than one type of Hall of Famer?

I, too, think Jay Jaffe’s process finds a nice middle ground: add up a player’s career WARP scores, but count the scores from his five (I think) best seasons double.

Note I’m not giving extra credit to a player for merely playing. If you play at a replacement level it does not help your case. But average has value. If Pedro was average this year the Mets make the playoffs. If Jim Thome was below average then the White Sox don’t. I don’t think we can dismiss such things as trivial.

Again, we’ve simply got different cutoffs. If someone could figure out how to play, and contribute a little bit, until he was 85 years old, the final 45 years of his playing career accumulating 3 or 4 of your all-important “over replacement value” points, that might push him past a better player who retired at 30 in your estimate but never in mine.

I don’t disagree with you in general, but this is the HOF we’re discussing here, the best of the best of the best. “And I hepped!” just doesn’t cut it on this level.

On what basis can you make this statement?

I am currently embroiled in a big discussion of Mike Mussina’s worthiness in aother forum. As part of this I made a quick comparison of the peaks of Blyleven, Kaat, and John, which I’ll cut and paste here. The top row is the top 5 seasons of ERA+ over the pitcher’s career, the bottom row is where they ranked in terms of innings pitched that year vs. the league:

Blyleven:

158/151/144/142/140
4th/xxx/xxx/xxx/7th

Jim Kaat:

131/130/129/126/125
1st/2nd/xxx/3rd/4th

Tommy John:

161/138/137/135/120
xxx/xxx/2nd/xxx/10th

Of the 3, Blyleven clearly outclasses his competition-peak is comfortably better than John’s (who was in and out of the rotation even in his best seasons) and Kaat’s (whose only finishes in top 10 in innings are those 4 seasons above, while Bert was top 10 9 times). So I don’t see how Blyleven is “nothing special” while the other two are deserving when they all basically have the same win totals and win percentages and Blyleven was better his his best seasons.

[Edit: I see someone already beat me to it-thanks Jimmy Chitwood. ]

What Exit, you’re obstinately refusing to even acknowledge, let alone refute the arguments for Blyleven. Fine then: what’s your case for Tommy John?

So far as I can tell, the entirety of your case rests on winning percentage (which ignores the fact that Blyleven played on horrible teams) and for “being the pioneer of baseballs most famous surgery” … a title it seems to me is far better suited to Dr. Frank Jobe, not to his patient.*

Make your case.

*Actually come to think of it – Jobe might well be a worthy HOF candidate.

I already said that they have probably convinced me that John is not worthy of the hall. So what case should I make?

When does the Veteran’s Committee vote, and where can I see a list of eligible players?

Also the HoF Monitor.
Blyleven:
Black Ink: Pitching - 16 (133) (Average HOFer ≈ 40)
Gray Ink: Pitching - 237 (25) (Average HOFer ≈ 185)
HOF Standards: Pitching - 50.0 (38) (Average HOFer ≈ 50)
HOF Monitor: Pitching - 120.5 (69) (Likely HOFer > 100)
Overall Rank in parentheses.

John:
Black Ink: Pitching - 8 (288) (Average HOFer ≈ 40)
Gray Ink: Pitching - 137 (117) (Average HOFer ≈ 185)
HOF Standards: Pitching - 44.0 (54) (Average HOFer ≈ 50)
HOF Monitor: Pitching - 111.0 (79) (Likely HOFer > 100)
Overall Rank in parentheses.

December 8th the results are announced. Baseball-reference.com has a list on the front page:

I’m a Joe Gordon man myself.

Henderson, Blyleven, Raines, Trammell.

I go back and forth on Rice and always end up with no.

I haven’t decided what to do with McGwire yet, so it’s no again for him.

For the veterans - Torre and Dick Allen. BOY could Dick Allen hit. People always talk about how feared Jim Rice was as a hitter - Dick Allen put him to shame.

Boy, you ain’t kidding. He was a god with the White Sox in 1972. The numbers don’t look like much now, but in context they were great.

As for my current ballot

• Harold Baines - No
• Jay Bell - Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. No
• Bert Blyleven - Yes
• David Cone - No
• Andre Dawson - Maybe soon
• Ron Gant - No
• Mark Grace - No
• Rickey Henderson - Yes
• Tommy John - Yes
• Don Mattingly - No
• Mark McGwire - Yes
• Jack Morris - Yes
• Dale Murphy - No
• Jesse Orosco - No
• Dave Parker - No
• Dan Plesac - see Jay Bell
• Tim Raines - Yes
• Jim Rice - Yes
• Lee Smith - No
• Alan Trammell - No
• Greg Vaughn - No
• Mo Vaughn - No
• Matt Williams - Maybe next year.

I’d actually like to hear a decent argument in favor of even glancing at winning percentage. And in conjunction, whether you feel that Blyleven’s and John’s would change at all if you swapped the teams they were playing for.

My ballot would be:

• Harold Baines - No
• Jay Bell - No
Bert Blyleven - Yes – I believe he’s the best eligible pitcher player not currently in the Hall.
• David Cone - No
• Andre Dawson - Almost, but no.
• Ron Gant - No
• Mark Grace - No
Rickey Henderson - Yes. A no brainer.
• Tommy John - Almost, but no.
• Don Mattingly - No
• Mark McGwire - No
• Jack Morris - No. Highly overrated, based on our memories of a couple great playoff games.
• Dale Murphy - No
• Jesse Orosco - No
• Dave Parker - No
• Dan Plesac - No
Tim Raines - Yes. Highly underrated.
• Jim Rice - Almost, but no. And I say that as a Red Sox fan. Too one-dimensional, too short a career.
• Lee Smith - No
Alan Trammell - Yes, but barely.
• Greg Vaughn - No
• Mo Vaughn - No
• Matt Williams - No

Regarding Bert Blyleven, and the arguments in his favor:

Keep in mind that Wins and Win% are lousy stats for evaluating a pitcher, since they’re highly influenced by the offenses of his team. They measure a combination of things, of which the pitcher is only responsible for one. I am much more interested in how many runs the pitcher prevented and how many innings they pitched. I am secondarily interested in how many men they strike out, and how many base runners they allow. I am not at all interested in wins. This is not “stat cherry picking” for Blyleven’s case; I’m just attempting to put more weight, generally, into more meaningful statistics.

Now, consider that:

• Blyleven was in the top 10 in ERA+ TWELVE times in his career, including one 1st-place finish, three 2nd-place finishes, one 4th-place finish, and two 5th-place finishes.

• He’s 14th all time in innings pitched.

• He’s 5th all time in strikeouts

• He’s 8th all time in career shutouts, if that sort of dominance floats your boat.

I think Blyleven is not just deserving of being in the Hall, but that he would clearly be in the top half of pitchers there, were he elected today.

It’s official…

Jim Rice FINALLY made it in… And of course, Rickey got in as well on his first try. Dawson and Blyleven were 3rd and 4th but didn’t even break 70% this year.

Rice isn’t a terribly good choice when there were better players on the ballot, but I guess he isn’t ther worst player in the Hall of Fame. Henderson was a stupidly easy choice and the fools who didn’t vote for him should be ashamed of themselves.

The interesting result to me was that of Mark McGwire, who got 21% or something like that. It’s clear the voters don’t like him and don’t like his silence on the roids. Time often heals “Character” wounds so I’ll be interested in seeing if he numbers go up over the next three or four years, but the early returns suggest a guy with 583 home runs is not a good bet to make the Hall of Fame. That’s really quite something.

Am I allowed to be amazed that some writers did not vote for Rickey? What the hell were they thinking?

As to Rice, I always though he was a borderline HOFer but I know I am in a minority on this board. He was a scary, dare I say it, Clutch Bat.
On Preview: RickJay, I noticed the Big Mac actually got less votes this years. I am hopeful this means he will never go in.

They are the asses who think that since none of ‘the greats’ got in with 100%, they will refuse to vote for an obvious lock, so nobody will get 100% ever.

Tim Raines at 22.6% is a disgrace. Other than a being a nice collection of knickknacks and milestone-related paraphenalia, I don’t have much desire to go to Cooperstown much anymore.