The Beatles on K-Tel Records

Am I crazy, or was a Beatles song or two released on K-Tel Records (or a similar label that would put out albums with hits of the somewhat recent past), sometime in the early to mid 1970s? I think I remember a TV commercial with McCartney shown singing “We Can Work It Out”, and being impressed by the bridge, among other things. Also, I distinctly remember seeing John Fogerty, in tight black leather pants, singing a CCR song, the name of which I do not recall.

Did this happen?

Looks like they had some old, old tracks and reused them a lot.

This is weird of me but:

In a 30 second commercial for an album with songs from multiple artists how likely is it that a quick snippet of “We Can Work it Out” would include the bridge?

So I vote you are not crazy but, you may be misremembering things.

ETA: re: Telemark’s post: Yeah… that Tony Sheridan “My Bonnie” thing was always a different licensing deal. So you see it popping up here and there.

There’s no reason it had to be just a 30 second commercial, for starters. And it’s not just that it was any old bridge, it is very distinctive, with that dramatic time signature change to a kind of waltz time. But I certainly take your point, I very well might be misremembering, hence my thread. Just as vivid in my mind was Fogerty. You can see him in tight leather pants on the inner part of the Chronicle album. I got into CCR in 1982 or so, and would not have seen this image until then, and sure as hell not know he was a tight leather, half Jim Morrison “lizard king” type. :slight_smile:

Shit, I just found this. I’m pretty sure I’ve looked online for this, but it could have been twenty years ago. This is almost surely what I saw back then.

Are you thinking of “The Beatles: Alpha Omega”?

Summary: in the early 1970s, a shady New Jersey company took advantage of loose enforcement of piracy violations to temporarily sell pirated Beatles recordings by mail order. I remember the TV ads, which used an English-accented voiceover. I had no idea of the legal issues until recently.

I always wondered if their success influenced (Apple?) to release the two authorized double albums a few years later (“The Beatles: 1962-1966” and “The Beatles: 1966-1970”, aka “The Blue Album” and “The Red Album”).

Thanks, very interesting indeed, and something like this is what I have suspected. Your link says this company advertised on TV. I’d need to see that commercial. But in my very possibly faulty memory, there were a number of bands, and not just Beatles songs.

I could swear there was an SNL commercial parody in the mid-80s along the lines of “Great Songs You Remember Half the Lyrics From,” but I can’t find it on Wikipedia’s list.

Okay. Not sure what it has to do with the topic, but judging from my luck and the rapidly advancing possibility I dreamed the whole thing up, if there wasn’t such a parody, I could probably still convince myself of its existence! :rofl:

You’re probably thinking of this:

Okay, I think I may get it now. Beatles songs you may remember the words to, not just any old songs.

Found it.

“Very strange!”

That was exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks!

"was a Beatles song or two released on K-Tel Records (or a similar label "

Without a doubt! THE BEATLES- “Nowhere Man” was included (The lead track!) on the c.1971 RONCO (“AS Seen On TV”) compilation album, “Do It Now.”

It was called “Beatles Songs You Sort Of Know The Words To.” I can’t find it on line.

Some of us at work joked about “R.E.M. Songs You Sort Of Know The Words To” but that it would actually be more like this, and specifically the one with all the question marks.

Teaches me to scroll through a whole thread without checking it out! This is it! It’s just not on You Tube.

Do you know if there was a TV commercial? Probably, since it was RONCO, but I can’t find it. If so, I suppose I could be misremembering as suggested, and saw a clip of “Nowhere Man” instead. The instrumentation is similar and it was released in December 1965, as was “We Can Work It Out”. And the vibe is similar…

Can’t say if there was a TV commercial… but the album exists… I have it right here… And “Nowhere Man” is the lead track. MH