The best summary yet of London's attitude

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/246c9d1e-efe3-11d9-bd3b-00000e2511c8.html (apologies if the link expires, I’ve no idea whether it remains permanently)

Very nice to hear. Thank you. Anyone else with inspiring essays?

Thanks, GorillaMan. That gave me chills to read.

How about these?

These quotes (all from different people) were gathered from various emails and blogs (reposted from UnaBoard)-
To quote an old Londoner who lived through the blitz and got caught up in the Canary Wharf explosion:
“I’ve been blown up by a better class of bastard than this!”

“We took on the Romans, the Saxons, the Danes, the French, William Wallace, the Black Plague, the Roundheads, the Great Fire, Napoleon, the Nazis, and the Blitz, and we’re still here. You terrorists are bloody amateurs.”

“They did their worst, and they managed to disrupt our transport network and get fatalities in the low double figures. That happens on a fairly regular basis anyway, you twits. What’s your next trick - a fiendish weather control device which makes it rain on a bank holiday weekend?”

“The stupid buggers blew up a bus right in front of the British Medical Association, meaning there was a building full of doctors right there - I don’t call that good planning…”

:smiley:

Actually, I do have one that I think is outstanding, but it’s an audio file.

Go to http://www.knx1070.com/maPerspectives.html and click on the 7/7/05 commentary “Bomb Perspective.” It is great.

That is priceless! There will always be an England, thanks be to Og. :smiley:

This, I think, was very good as well:

Some old ww2 vet who, with a bandage around his head & deep cuts to his face said “Is that the best you’ve got Ale Cadar ?I can fart & cause more mayhem”

:stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.lnreview.co.uk/news/005167.php

Here are a some more quotes, collected by yesterday’s Times

No grand demonstrations, few warlike chants , a desire for revenge, of course , but the reaction of the average man and woman in the street? Yes, you’ve tried it now bugger off. We’re not scared , no ,you won’t change us . Even if we are scared , you can still bugger off.
If this had been the US President he would have shown a resolution to ‘fight back against terrorism’ By contrast Mr Blair expressed his admiration for the ‘stoicism and resilience’ and declared that he would overcome the terrorists’ sense of values with a ‘firm resolve’ . In these ways , Mr Blair demonstrated the British style of ant-terrorism.

London isn’t in fear, and we don’t seem to be hanging Muslims from lampposts. Instead we are dealing with it, and getting back to normal. This shows the resilience of Londoners no matter the faith , ethnicity or class.

It’s a great image, especially if you can imagine the accent and the look of determination in the eyes. Just like they did on 9/11, AQ has pooped in the wrong nest.

" ‘There’ll always be an England.’ Well, that’s not saying much, is it? I mean there’ll always be a North Pole, if some dangerous clown doesn’t go and melt it." - Michael Flanders

For a serious take on a non-serious point:

Lots of countries have tried to invade England and make it not England, and none have succeeded, and the supposed ‘character’ of England is supposed to continue. That’s the point of that line. I don’t think the North Pole’s been invaded by more than a few gung-ho individuals and their huskies, and the ‘character’ of the North Pole (cold, barren, and cold), is pretty much immmutable.

And now for a frivolous take on a serious point:

Oh the images! :smiley:

XTC vs. Adam Ant, only one will survive…

I don’t give much for Adam Ant’s chances these days. Last time I saw a picture, he’d seriously gone to seed.

Yanno, I can’t think of one time in my life the IRA ever dissuaded me from going where I wanted and doing what I liked. I strongly doubt Al-Qaeda are going to manage it either.

Bolding mine.
Like Wallace ever made it as far as London :rolleyes:

cough1066cough

What if we replace Wallace with Mel Gibson?

Oh, he made it to London, all right, just not in the manner that he hoped.

He was taken to London after his betrayal in Scotland, and hanged, drawn and quartered at Smithfield Market (still in use today!), then beheaded.

[I realize that you probably knew this.]

It’s still England (Last time I checked)

Ha! No, we’ll create a fiendish weather control device which mains it sunny on a bank holiday weekend! Confused Londoners, not knowing what to do, will walk around outside in a daze and get REALLY BAD SUNBURN!!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!
Err-Ahem. I mean, that’s what I heard, anyway. :wink: