the blizzard of 2003

Omagawd - it is intense out there!

I think this is way worse than the Blizzard of '96!

Here it changed to sleet around 9 p.m. and is still sleeting. So much for the record! :frowning:

I can tell it’s getting windier out there - we’re rocking and shaking a fair bit, and I’m hearing what sounds like sleet hitting the hull. I hope it doesn’t freeze the cabin door shut - that would be bad…

What is it that happens to people’s brains when a storm is predicted? I used to work at a grocery store in Pennsylvania. Whenever there was a hint that a snowstorm was going to get bad, we’d be swamped. But people wouldn’t be buying things like candles and batteries. Instead, we’d have a run on bread, milk, and eggs. Presumably they were planning on living on French toast until the storm let up. (In that case, I’d recommend adding some maple syrup and cinnamon to your cart, ma’am…)

As dumb luck would have it my father is in the hospital after a (thankfully mild) heart attack, so my mother is weathering the storm alone. I said “You’re going to be okay, right? You can figure out the snow blower” and she said “No, your father never showed me how to use it” :smack: I hope the young man across the street was serious about helping her to shovel herself out…

I just went to my front stoop to get my newspaper and could barely open the front door. Between the amount of snow we’ve gotten and the wind, there was about two feet of accumulation on the steps. But the paper was there!

Yesterday afternoon, just as the snow was starting in New York, I was flying up from Florida. Around 5 pm, I called my boyfriend (in Florida, the lucky bastard) to tell him I’d arrived. He asked if I was going to go food shopping in light of the impending storm. At first I thought I didn’t need to stock up*. Then I checked weather.com and saw that up to 24" inches was predicted. I marched myself to the supermarket in a hurry after that. Very glad I did so!

*[sub]For me (and many other New Yorkers), “stock up” means having enough food in the house for more than one meal.[/sub]

It’s a snow day for me! A college snow day! Woo hoo!

Just changed over to all snow again and it’s going like gangbusters!

Don’t say that Neidhart!! The system is moving from where you are to where I am and I don’t need any more snow here! rats…

Only ~6 inches year in Cincinnati. The kiddies are having a ball sled-riding.

originally posted by FairyChatMom

It depends on where the snow-sleet line sets up. If you’re on the coast, the changeover will doubtless be delayed (if it happens at all).

philly is at 23" now. we are in a sleet pocket (bummer). it is 22 degrees and sleeting. poo!

flodnak, snow days are french toast days on the east coast. i find it very humourous. so far so good on power. the lines are clear as i look out the window. i’m sure yankee candle has done a great business in the last few days.

my nice neighbour has cleared my stairs and a bit of side walk. i think he was trying to get to his car.

We’re still getting a snow-sleet mix here in suburban Baltimore. I have metal awnings on some of the windows and can hear it pinging as it hits.
There’s about an inch-thick ice crust on top of the snow.

It was blowing and drifting like crazy last night and I can’t even get my front door open. I’m trying to convince the kids that this is NOT fun to go out and play in.

All you wimps. Here I am, having walked the two blocks to work. Why? Because I’m insane. Actually, to get credit for coming in on the holiday, so I get another day off. The Big Boss agreed!

The wind effect is pretty interesting…the cars parked curbside out front have only about an inch of their roofs, but there’s over three feet piled up on the stoop. How we supposed to measure this stuff?

Good day for baking brownies, then making a lamb curry. But first I better clear off the steps as far as the sidewalk, there’s a pregnant lady living upstairs.

Ok folks the State of Connecticut is officially closed.

Oops, I stand corrected. It’s all snow now.
Those millions of little tiny flakes from yesterday are back. They’re ganging up on us again!

points at the snowbound folks and giggles
Now if it would just quit raining here, that’d be great.

whu oh, Coda …please tell me that unlike more northern parts of New England, your forcasters were predicting you’d be nailed. Pretty please? I really want to believe that for once we’ll get off lightly and only get the 4-8" they’re predicting.

We’ve got ice under a bit of snow. LOTS of ice under a bit of snow. Our two young willows look like they’re going to snap any second now. We’ve still got our power, though, and probably will as long as we don’t get any more. But it surely won’t melt anytime soon.

Snow day!

The snow has stopped - now for the shovelling!