The CanaDoper Café, 2013 edition.

But why do they need the government to do anything? You can’t legislate people making something of themselves; that has to come from within, doesn’t it?

Happy New Year, Canadopers!

While I try to avoid patriotic drum-banging if I can, I am quietly very proud of the accomplishments of our citizens who succeed on an international level.

I have lately become somewhat interested in motion picture composers, and was pleasantly surprised to find that Howard Shore is a Canuck.

Go Canada!

Every time Lighthouse comes on the radio, I tell my kids they’re listening to the guy who wrote the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit soundtracks…

Huh! I knew about the SNL connection, but not the films that he scored. Saw Lighthouse at the Peach Fest last August in Penticton. They rocked (and rolled), although I don’t think Howard Shore was in the lineup.

Howard Shore was in Lighthouse?! I’m ashamed I didn’t know that…

A buddy from my Church choir borrowed my USB turntable a few summers back, with my only request being that he burn me the resulting transcriptions of his vinyl. He’s old enough to be my dad, so there was a lot of dinosaur rock, and of course, the obligatory Gordon Lightfoot albums. :stuck_out_tongue:

There was a Lighthouse album in there. I knew the “Sunny Days” song from a few TV commercials, but the rest was new; and quite good, to boot!

My opinion of them steeply declined when I heard “Merlin.” I assumed that they were the Canadian response to the Grateful Dead, since no clean band could possibly write a song about fucking Merlin…but now, I see that It was just relevant job experience that landed Shore his LOTR gig!! :smiley:

I well remember Lighthouse from its Top 40 days (or at least its CHUM Top 30 days).

Many years later, I found myself living in Stouffville, Ontario, where ex-Lighthouse member Grant Fullerton owned a bar. He had a Sunday afternoon open jam at his bar. Very few locals participated, as Grant would invite his friends to jam with him. I got to see a few Lighthouse personnel play, as well as a few others–Bob Segarini was a frequent guest, as I recall. Those were great Sunday afternoons!

Then you should repeat this mantra : The client is always wrong, the client IS always wrong, the client is ALWAYS wrong.

Repeat as needed :smiley:

Wow, me neither. You learn something new every day!

A little late but Happy New Year! I’m looking forward to this year as I think it will be quite entertaining.
My NYE resolution after watching a bunch of TED talks was to not "“deny anyone’s reality but to add to it.” Kind of like improv where you can’t deny what someone throws at you but add to it or improve it. Should be challenging!
What’s yours?

My new year’s resolution is to fix my depression. So far I have:

1. Had my first counselling session for the year.
  2. Set an appointment with my doctor to get a referral to a psychiatrist to review my meds and possibly get actual therapy without having to declare bankruptcy.
  3. Gone to the gym.
  4. Eating good for me foods.
  5. Getting off my butt and accomplishing at least one thing beyond survival each day.

Okay, I am only three days in but just seeing hope down the road is really helping.

Aside: why on earth is therapy not covered by OHIP and why is it so damn expensive? I don’t suspect that mentally ill and wealthy tend to go hand-in-hand.

Truthfully, most are way more knowledgable than I am and know what they need and are correct in how to get it. Once in a while, though… you get the guy who asks for an answer immediately, but won’t answer his phone, his cell phone, won’t return messages, barely responds to emails and when he does he only answers one question out of everything you need to know in order to get him his “immediate” answer. Looking at you, MC! :smack:

That’s a good start pp. :slight_smile:

I have only very general resolutions, mostly continue my momentum to make healthier choices and get out more to be more active. It’s been working so far, I’ve lost a little weight since the summer.

That is an excellent question, and I suspect that as mental health issues become less stigmatized we will in fact see some coverage under our provincial plans.

This has been mumbled under breath in the US also as it becomes more apparent that mass killings aren’t only due to gun control (or lack thereof) but also due to untreated mental illness. I think society is gearing up to recognize that mental illness is not separate or special and should be diagnosed and treated along with broken bones, cancer, and influenza.

Good evening fellow Canadians, apologies for not popping in earlier. I don’t know if I am an expert on anything that will help, but thought I’d come by anyway. :slight_smile:

I really hope so. The only options I can see are:

-destroying my family by becoming destitute
-destroying my family with my depression

Both are not good options.

My husband and I argued about the indian protests last night. It was interesting to hear his perspective (he’s still wrong, of course). I just wish that it would be settled once and for all. What is in place now isn’t good for either the indians or the rest of Canada. I doubt it’s going to happen, though.

What is his perspective?

I found this piece explaining the Idle No More movement somewhat interesting.

Indians always seem to want to have it both ways:

yet seem, on a surface level, at least, to have no real answers beyond

Curious, this Idle No More thing.

I’ve always wondered about whether any Indians have ever been charged with any Criminal Code offences, whenever they’ve decided to blockade railways, or roads (such as is presently being threatened for the 400 series of highways in Ontario - to which the OPP has stated alternate routes would be set up, instead of removing the blockades :rolleyes:).

Ezra Levant told me it was all rubbish, and the guy Trudeau beat up agreed. That’s good enough for me; back to my round the clock NHL lockout coverage. :wink:

Civil rather than criminal contempt is usually applied, but even then, every option other than incarceration is supposed to be used before resorting to the slammer. Under Canadian law, special attention must be made to keep Indians out of jail, given the greatly disproportionate incarceration rate and its underlying historical and social factors. When the matter is a non-violent blockade, involves conflicting uses of land that is subject to a land claim, and is located on the disputed territory, the court will most likely not resort to incarceration for contempt. The leading law on this is set out in Frontenac Ventures Corporation v. Ardoch Algonquin First Nation, 2008 ONCA 534.

The Sun newspaper? Is that you?