The Closure of the "Father Solanus Casey Was A Living Saint Thread"

I always assumed you to be an Allman Brothers fan.

Slight tweak to About Great Debates.

Threads like the one that started this thread now do not belong in GD officially. This is largely in accordance with the changed to GD put in place 2.5 years ago.

Great change.

Thank you! So very sensible. :slight_smile:

@Guinastasia Your reference is an ironic one, because that would be the only time my “bigotry” on the subject was direct then. All other instances were said to be indirect and implied. I’m not expressing an opinion, just pointing out a fact. And I am just replying to your post, too.

Thank you! A very welcome change for the better!

Good rule change.

@Atamasama Where/who are these other “rambling trolls”? Please post some examples :slightly_smiling_face: . (I am genuinely curious.)

WRT that particular thread: is it time to move the retroactively noncompliant thread into a newly-more-appropriate forum? Or will it be treated as a debatable proposition? Since it no longer has status in GD.

I thought I moved it already.

I just checked, I did. It is in IMHO.

Sorry, I didn’t look and if you announced it I missed it.

Good job. It seems reasonable that “witnessing” is treated as just another form of expressing an opinion, even if deeply held. That happens on a lot of topics, not just religion, and religion shouldn’t get any particular pass.

Moderator Note

Accusations of trolling are not permitted outside of the Pit, so let’s not go there.

Except by Mods. And we’re encouraged to avoid it except as a prelude to suspension or banning. I will avoid it going forward.

Well that rule change has made the atheists happy. Mind you, I was never fond of it myself.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pitting Jim_B

I think you’re really missing the point here. This has nothing to do with atheism or religion. Speaking for myself, as someone who in this thread has been arguing for just this sort of rule change, the problem has been that the rule allowing “witnessing” has been used to permit all kinds of crazy nonsense threads in GD that would never have otherwise been allowed. Debates about religion have always been just fine and still are just fine, as long as they conform to the standards of GD, and if it’s some other kind of religious discussion, it can go in the appropriate forum.

And if it’s the kind of crazy nonsense that was previously allowed under the rule of “witnessing”, it doesn’t belong anywhere on this board at all. Some of the crap we’ve had to endure in GD under the “witnessing” rule has been tedious and downright embarrassing.

Nice taking things out of context.

And I think you missed my point also.

Why do you insist on starting an argument? There’s nothing about this rule change that “has made the atheists happy”. That’s all.

This isn’t the place for arguments. That’s down the hall.

I mean, it probably makes most of the members of the board happy, including the atheists, so he’s not wrong. Just the way he phrased it implies that it is at the cost of the theists.

If that’s not what he meant, then I think we are all in agreement, and it was just poorly stated on his part.