The Day in the Life of a Priest

What exactly does a priest do all day? Even if he has daily mass, that only occupies less than 2 hours of his time. So how is the rest of the day spent?

Giving last rites, helping with the maintenance of the church, researching for writing his next sermon?

Every once in a while the local Priest comes out to eat at the restaurant i work at, so i guess he eats, and probably shits too.

A lot of parish activities (many churches have charity programs and such). Some are teachers, or go to different charities, visit hospitals.

This is my church (well, I don’t go there anymore, but it’s where I grew up and went to school and all that, so I still think of it as “my church”). Look under “Organizations”, “Ministries” and “Faith Formation”.

Priests are really quite busy.

At least in the Catholic church, a lot of parishes have schools attached, so there are things with the kids. There are also outreach programs, hearing confessions, personal sessions with parishioners (I know I had one before my RCIA at 14), charity programs, church events, preparing homilies, etc. All of that is easily enough to fill a 40 hour week, and I’d wager that, in most cases, it’s significantly more than that.

They don’t teach ,so they play golf ,drink wine and bugger altar boys. Yep, it is a busy day. Then they have to attend anti abortion rallies and gather donations for Palin.

moderator warning

You’re in General Questions. If you have something useful to add to the thread, then do so. But this kind of reply is just threadshitting. Don’t do it again.

samclem Moderator, General Questions

If you can find it, Sunday: a Minister’s Story includes what a typical day is like for an Episcopal priest and also his thoughts on the matter. It was written by Reverend (Dr.) John C. Harper who was the Rector of Saint John’s Episcopal Church in Washington, DC. It’s really a good read.

I can answer for my pastor (we’re a General Baptist sort of church with four full-time employees). About a day a week goes to writing and preparing for sermons. Several appointments per day (maybe 50% of his time total) goes to church members who have concerns that range from religious topics, prayer for unemployment or disease, even simple marriage and substance abuse counseling. When my mother-in law was dying three years ago, he spent four hours talking to her (and on Thanksgiving nonetheless).

So that’s accounted for something like 70% of his time right there. The rest is a lot of administrative stuff - church budgets, lease negotiations, strategy meetings, etc. It’s the same kind of stuff you’d expect any small business owner to be involved in.

Frankly, it’s about the worst possible job I could imagine having, and I’m just thankful God’s given it to someone other than me.

Visiting ailing parishioners in the hospital or in senior centers can also take a lot of time. Most priests I know are pretty darn busy.